Clunk- noise from rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:12 AM
Vauxhallkillen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk- noise from rear wheel

Hi.
Very suddenly I got a clunk-clunk-clunk- noise from left rear wheel. Clearly following the wheel rotation.
Quickly checked wheel bolts, which were tight. Drove carefully some kilometers to my home, barely daring to go over 60km/h, as the noise was rather nasty.
Got the car up and checked driveshaft, but could not feel any play or noise in the joints. Wheel rotated freely.
I did feel some movement in the wheelbearing (?) as I could wiggle the wheel slightly when holding it 12 and 6.
Checked the large bearing nut, and it was tight.

Went out driving again, and it was quiet. Been driving it for a couple of weeks now without noise, but today it came back. Clearly depending on throttle position when I am going straight, but seems to disappear when cornering. After some turns it was totally quiet again.

Any ideas? CV- joint, or bearing?
I also read something about the stubaxle getting worn...

My car is a 1984 944.

/Anders
Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Sounds like one or both CV joints on that side have failed.
Had similar sounds on my 944 a few years ago and one of the CV joints failed, closet to rear wheel.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

The clunk noise from the rear appeared when turning, not going straight. You can raise the rear and see if there is play in the CV joint when moving the half shaft back and forth

Quick Reply: Clunk- noise from rear wheel