944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

1985 944 No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Ragtop
I have a compression tester coming in the mail not here yet. Will do those tests when it comes in. Smoke did not smell of sweet radiator fluid and exhaust pipe let out smoke for about 30 minutes after car shut off which I thought looked like oil burning somewhere.
Also looking into security system module causing problems.
Check the level in the coolant expansion tank. I do not believe engine oil can ignite without an ignition source
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM
911Ragtop
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking hot smoke from oil touching manifold, downpipe or something, thought maybe excess oil got through the cylinders to the pipes. Reminds me of my old 914 dripping oil on heat exchanger type of smoke, but I really don't know at this point. Will try and get some measurements with compression gauge. If I have to I will pull the head off and replace the head gasket, just want to eliminate other possibilities first. Speed and ref. sensors plastic connectors fell apart in my hand when I touched them, they need replaced too. This car sat in Florida sun baking so lots of the plastic is brittle.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:53 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bartholomeow
Not yet, I have a good feeling it could also be the fuel pressure regulator...
When I try to start it It smells absolutely horrible and grey smoke clouds the driveway.
f.
thats a good call. below is a copy of a post I made on another thread with a similar over-rich issue which might be helpful

'my first thought was that you're FPR fuel pressure relief valve is letting by ,...allowing small amounts of fuel to enter the vacuum system and ending up in the inlet making your idle mixture too rich.
next time you get the engine running remove the vacuum hose off the FPR and check if there is any fuel in the vacuum hose or you can smell fuel . if the FPR is letting by you'll see gas weeping out the FPR vacuum hose spigot.
With the vacuum hose disconnected if the engine runs better then I would replace the FPR .'
Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Bartholomeow
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou all for the help, I finally figured it out the intake gasket was leaking because
Spoiler

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xvh...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 PM
911Ragtop
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Awesome you got it going.

Thankyou all for the help, I finally figured it out the intake gasket was leaking because
Spoiler

Awesome that you got it going. That car is almost a dead ringer for my 944 same color and everything. What a difference it makes when it’s up and running.
So cool you got it going I’m happy.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:08 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler

thats great news......we've all been there . glad you found the problem so quickly.
I took my bike out the other week and it wobbled like crazy at 40mph when I checked the front end I found I hadn't tightened the wheel hub nuts to the fork stanchions .......eek!.

Quick Reply: 1985 944 No Start