Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Strange 944 Running/ No Start Issues....

Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see how that could be significant or indicative of anything I'm afraid.

I have only owned late 944 and 944S2 models so I have never needed to familiarize myself with the early models so I am struggling a bit too.

The only other thing that occurred to me was that sudden switching on or off could be due to a faulty relay or relay coil supply. I'll have a look through the electrical schematic tomorrow and see if anything shows up.

The other thing that we have not got to the bottom of yet is your DME relay fault .!!! ......there is no way in the World that a DME relay could fire up the engine but a 3x wire bypass couldn't Something is screwy there for sure.

Connecting the 3x DME relay base terminals together does exactly the same job as the DME 2x relays do so why is the result different ???

It would be useful to see a picture of the electrical wires on the underside of the DME relay connector and its associated fuse board connector which on a 944S2 is connector E from memory. I did a video some years ago about bypassing immobilisers that shows the connector .
Old 02-23-2019, 08:16 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Gotcha. I’ll do my best to try and get some pictures of the wiring behind the fuse/ relay board. On the early cars it’s tucked underneath the dash in the drivers side footwell.

These are the only wiring diagrams I have for the 83 ignition system.

In this post I was testing the sensor that I moved to the position of the speed sensor. It used to be my reference sensor but the two sensors are the same. I was originally getting good readings from it. Now I’m not seeing any resistance readings at all. Does this confirm that this sensor is not functioning properly and needs to be replaced?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jacob AbuKhader
In this post I was testing the sensor that I moved to the position of the speed sensor. It used to be my reference sensor but the two sensors are the same. I was originally getting good readings from it. Now I’m not seeing any resistance readings at all. Does this confirm that this sensor is not functioning properly and needs to be replaced?

The resistance readings you are seeing might tell you that the coil inside the sender body and the 22 wires coming off it are ok but it doesn't tell you anything about if the speed sensor is actually sending a pulse to the ECU .That all depends on the critical gap between the face of the sender and the flywheel which you cannot see.

IMPORTANT
Jacob if you take the car to a garage to get this test done they will not have the equipment to do the test.

Garages can only test modern cars that have an OBD2 connector, ECU and and associated software . You need someone who knows how to use a scope with probes to probe the sender and ECU connector terminals

If you do take the car to a garage be sure to make it completely clear that you do NOT want them to do extensive testing to find the fault otherwise they will order and fit loads of unnecessary parts that will cost you hundreds of dollars probably with no result . You will be giving them an open cheque or license to print money

What you need first of all is for someone to check the senders and terminals 8 & 27 on the ECU connector for a 2.5v Sine wave with the engine running .
Old 02-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Do you know what brand of speed sensor is in there? If it's the FAE, I'll bet you're having the same issue I did where the sensor's outer shield would have continuity with one of its connector pins. This caused the sensor to display a half sine on the 'scope and the DME to reject its signal. A known problem with some FAE sensors.

Switch the two sensors and try starting
What I'm suggesting is for you to switch the sensors and their connections so that the current speed sensor is now the reference sensor and vice versa. I suspect when you crank the car, it won't start at all, proving the speed sensor is at fault. If it starts and runs as it does currently, then that sensor is likely ok
Old 02-24-2019, 11:54 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

What I'm suggesting is for you to switch the sensors and their connections so that the current speed sensor is now the reference sensor and vice versa. I suspect when you crank the car, it won't start at all, proving the speed sensor is at fault. If it starts and runs as it does currently, then that sensor is likely ok
good suggestion Dan and a simple test are the two plugs identical ?
Old 02-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
good suggestion Dan and a simple test are the two plugs identical ?
Yes the sensors and connections are identical, at least on my '88
Old 02-24-2019, 04:51 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

On my 89 S2 there is of course only one sensor on the crank the other sensor is on the cam so i've never seen the early sensor connectors.
Johnny
Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Ahhhhh I see what you’re saying dan. I can absolutely give that a shot.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:16 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

By the way I had an idea that I’m sure someone else has thought of that I’d like to run buy you lot to perhaps explain why it would/ wouldn’t work.

Both sensors send a magnetic impulse out as a voltage signal. Which is why you need a scope to test them. With the engine rotating if the sensors are working correctly they send a peak voltage over time and cycle. Hence the sine wave.
If the peak voltage is about 2.5volts everytime there is a pulse, why couldn’t I simply remove the sensor, connect the leads to a voltmeter and pass a magnet near the sensor to see if any voltage briefly registers on the meter?

Im just curious and I’m sure someone else has had this thought so I figure now would be a good opportunity to explain and enlighten as to why that wouldn’t be an effective testing method.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

yes you could do that ....its often done using a high speed drill or router but you would still need a scope to be able to see the sine wave voltage level/
A multimeter isn't capable of showing a voltage 50 times a second
Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by peanut
yes you could do that ....its often done using a high speed drill or router but you would still need a scope to be able to see the sine wave voltage level/
A multimeter isn't capable of showing a voltage 50 times a second
Atahhh okay I get it now. I was thinking of like waving a magnet back and forth by hand very slowly 😂

Thanks for the info peanut.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

well the sensor is a magnet when it has a voltage passed through it. The normal way of doing it would be to attach the sensor wires to a 9v PP3 battery and then pass a thin strip of metal past the sensor with a high speed drill .

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...-sensors/28754
Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

I’m just trying to do as much as I can without any immediate access with a scope.

For sh*ts and giggles I unplugged the speed sensor entirely and the car didn’t start. Plugged it back in and the car started.

Does that hat mean anything to anyone? Next thing I’m gonna try is swapping the sensors like dan suggested. Unless I don’t need to after that new bit of information.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:28 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by Jacob AbuKhader
I’m just trying to do as much as I can without any immediate access with a scope.

For sh*ts and giggles I unplugged the speed sensor entirely and the car didn’t start. Plugged it back in and the car started.

Does that hat mean anything to anyone? Next thing I’m gonna try is swapping the sensors like dan suggested. Unless I don’t need to after that new bit of information.
i have a major development I plugged in the old DME and the car started and ran just like it used to. Smoking etc. video explains all
Old 02-26-2019, 09:42 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

please watch until the end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange 944 Running/ No Start Issues....