Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Strange 944 Running/ No Start Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
I suspect that the terminal 30 issue was just a poor connection or anomaly because it is certainly working correctly now that you have a new DME relay fitted so no need to persue that .

Glad to hear that it is finally running , you must be very relieved and elated . it will take a little time but eventually you'll start to trust that it won't cut out on you again hopefully.

One positive thing to take from all this is that you have fixed it with your own efforts and learnt a lot in the process so you have that satisfaction .
Yeah but the Porsche community really is a wonderful one. It took two threads but I’m hoping even though they are insanely long someone will go through them and see the process of testing things and trying to break down an issue that seems unsolvable.

I cant thank everyone who replied over the two threads, Dj over at Don Jackson Enterprises in Peoria is always helpful, Gene over at Porsche chandler, Larry up at 20th street auto in Phoenix. Rich for fixing my ECU. But Dan and Peanut you guys are the stars of the show. I’m very greatful for your time in helping me out.

My biggest satisfaction was telling everyone who told me the car was junk and to just cut my losses and sell it that I got it running. I’m a third owner of a 36 year old Classic Porsche that car is not leaving my family for a very long time.

The 944 has a reputation for being high maintenance but that’s exactly why I bought it so I could learn how all this works.

Ooft im getting sentimental I fancy a drive.

Not out of the woods entirely my brake lights aren’t working and neither are my hazards. My turn signals work though.
Im assuming a bad Hazard switch and maybe my brake light switch has gone bad too.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

My car just stalled. First time taking it out. I’m stranded.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your best bet is to fit the DME relay jumper which should get you home at least.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

your best bet is to fit the DME relay jumper which should get you home at least.
By some f*cking miracle I’m home. And when I was cranking I had plenty of fuel pressure. Magically it slowly started up so I decided to get it as close to home as possible. It died again while idling at a light just when it turned green of course. Then miraculously it started again almost immediately and lasted until I got home
Old 04-05-2019, 01:59 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Wow that was lucky ! been there done that and its not great being stranded is it.

sounds like there is still an idle stabilisation issue which is not surprising I suppose considering all the things that have been disturbed including the idle mixture setting.

Does the idle stay steady or does it rise and fall ?
Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Wow that was lucky ! been there done that and its not great being stranded is it.

sounds like there is still an idle stabilisation issue which is not surprising I suppose considering all the things that have been disturbed including the idle mixture setting.

Does the idle stay steady or does it rise and fall ?
It stays steady it doesn’t really oscillate at all.

When it died these last two times it died instantly. Without warning.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by Jacob AbuKhader

on that note, I went ahead and plugged in the other DME that had that same chip replaced and with this one in its all over the place. Up down bogs up down up normal normal up.

Its steady with my original DME
Old 04-05-2019, 02:26 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Old 04-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Oh Man!

I think you should stick to the "better" ECU and for now, at least, assume that it is working as it should. You've had experienced eyes on its circuit board that I assume would have caught and repaired any cracked solder joints.

Does it stall only while idling or when throttle is open as well?
Old 04-05-2019, 06:51 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jacob AbuKhader

these intermittent problems are the worst to track down .

The engine is obviously starting and running normally all the rest of the time and no signs of an over-rich mixture so maybe we should start looking at all the things that effect the idle for poor connections or possible chafing of wires etc .like the AFM , coolant temp sensor, 02 sensor, TPS ect
Also important to clean and test the idle air valve and the hose connections.
maybe even look at the vacuum connection to the brake booster where there is a non return valve. Maybe braking could cause a sudden loss of vacuum that the ECU cannot compensate for.

You must be chuffed to bits to actually drive it now after all this time and frustration

on refection I think I would start by running the car on idle and then carefully pulling and pushing the wiring loom and various connections to TPS AFM coolant temp sensor, vacuum pipes etc and see if you get any reaction
Old 04-05-2019, 06:55 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Oh Man!

I think you should stick to the "better" ECU and for now, at least, assume that it is working as it should. You've had experienced eyes on its circuit board that I assume would have caught and repaired any cracked solder joints.

Does it stall only while idling or when throttle is open as well?
you know there was a moment where it wanted to die just as I was stratining it infront of my house so I mashed the throttle and it bogged and it chugged twice and then roared back to health.

I don’t trust that though because the other day it had a moment where it almost stalled then returned to normal instantly without any input so I don’t know.

and peanut you’re absolutely correct I’m losing my mind. I drive it for 30 miles without issue no worries. Sometimes multiple times a day and the one day I go far from home this happens.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:10 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

from this description I'm thinking the FPR .
If you are suddenly losing all your fuel pressure due to a leaky fuel pressure relief valve that could explain sudden shutdowns .
The other component that can cause pressure loss is the non return valve .

I would invest in a proper fuel pressure guage and attach it to the bleed nut on the fuel rail with a bit of hose , run the engine and see what is happening to your fuel pressure .

Even if your engine shuts down ....the fuel pressure should stay up for at least 20 minutes .
Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm afraid I have zero experience with early 944s and I understand that the FI is different, including the Idle Air Valve (it's even called something different I think). Peanut's suggests are solid for systematic troubleshooting and all you can really do now is keep hunting until you find the issue, learning as much about early 944 Motronic as possible.

Good luck and keep at it. Clearly, the engine is capable of running well and once you fix this latest issue, you'll love it again
Old 04-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

from this description I'm thinking the FPR .
If you are suddenly losing all your fuel pressure due to a leaky fuel pressure relief valve that could explain sudden shutdowns .
The other component that can cause pressure loss is the non return valve .

I would invest in a proper fuel pressure guage and attach it to the bleed nut on the fuel rail with a bit of hose , run the engine and see what is happening to your fuel pressure .

Even if your engine shuts down ....the fuel pressure should stay up for at least 20 minutes .
Thats what’s got me. The FPR is new and now the fuel pump relay is new too. Since replacing the relay Wednesday I have had no stalling at all due to the pump shutting off or a lack of pressure. When the car died both times today, I had sufficient fuel pressure. The electronic fuel pressure gauge I have installed into the car is tapped directly into the fuel rail. When I replaced the fuel pump I also replaced the fuel pump check valve with a new one. I’ll have to look into the non return valve... unless that’s what the fuel pump check valve is. I have also previously done bleed down tests and it passed with flying colors taking about 20 minutes to drop maybe 5psi. I last ran the car 3.5 hours ago. It takes about 2 hours for the pressure to drop completely.

Last edited by Jacob AbuKhader; 04-05-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

The next time it doesn’t start I’ll have to retrace my steps entirely. I know it’s getting fuel. I’ll have to ground each plug and make sure it’s getting spark. The ignition coil is brand new and I had Tach bounce when it didn’t start but I’ve learned to assume nothing.

Quick Reply: Strange 944 Running/ No Start Issues....