944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Wheels not turning

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Bass4prez
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels not turning

Hello all, and thanks in advance. I'm having issues with my 1987 944 non turbo. When I turn the car on and shift first gear and accelerate the wheels stutter and move forward a little bit. There is a loud knocking sound (specifically when the wheels move forward) around where the rear of the vehicle. FYI I landed on a curb and I'm pretty sure it hit the gearbox. How would I go about diagnosing What specifically is wrong with my gearbox (before removing it) or rear differential if they are the problem?
Old 10-26-2018, 01:44 AM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

Sounds pretty nasty. Any signs of damage on the transaxle case? If not, you might as well try disconnecting the axles from it and turning the wheels by hand, and also try putting it in gear again and see if the sound is still present. My guess is that there's something pretty well messed up inside the transaxle, but this should help confirm that. Then just pull the transaxle and start taking it apart until you find something wrong; you may need a new transaxle, or maybe just a rebuild. Hopefully, it's something less severe. Keep us posted!
Old 10-26-2018, 02:12 AM
Bass4prez
3rd Gear

Okay I'll check it out tomorrow, but from what i can tell I didn't see any outside damage to the transaxle
Old 10-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Bass4prez
3rd Gear

so I remove the axles from the gearbox and the wheels are able to turn freely without the knock. So it has to be my gearbox unfortunately. I guess in the next couple of weeks I will remove my gearbox and keep you posted.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

That's what I feared. Good luck! Look at it this way: if you get it rebuilt, you can have things upgraded in there and have a really nice gearbox when you're done, plus it won't leak. Once you get the transaxle out, check the torque tube to see if it turns freely as well. If it makes noises or clunks or anything, it would be worth rebuilding or replacing it now rather than doing the whole job all over again. You might also find that the torque tube is the cause, although that seems unlikely from what you've described.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:05 PM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the ring and pinion gear in the tranny. If you live close to Seattle, WA contact me offline.

Quick Reply: Wheels not turning