Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Turns over but no fuel to cylinders

Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 PM
yamabob217
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turns over but no fuel to cylinders

Hi guys, I need some expert guidance with an '84 944 that's not getting power at the fuel pump.

The last time that the car ran was about ten years ago. When the car was put away, it was running fine. So, I didn't expect to have a problem with getting it to run again.

I drained the fuel tank, squirted some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, and put in a new battery. It turned over but wouldn't fire. It took a minute to realize that that usual faint buzz or hum was missing when I turned the ignition key to the accessories on position. So I thought that the fuel pump was gummed up with old fuel.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that the fuel pump wasn't getting power until I replaced it. With my limited knowledge on the 944, I thought that hooking up a spare battery directly to the fuel pump would at least get the car to start. But that didn't work because it doesn't appear as though the injectors are firing.

From what I've been able to research, I know that the DME Relay could be the problem. At least with the fuel pump power. I don't know if that also controls the injectors but I'm hoping that it's related.

But there's another possible cause. When I bought the car, it came with an Ungo TL-4000 alarm. I have the installation manual and it indicates that there's an optional cutoff that can be configured to disable either the starter or fuel pump.

I ordered a new DME Relay but I'm also concerned that the car alarm might be the problem. So I decided to remove it or at least see if the fuel pump cutoff was configured. But now I'm having a hard time getting behind the fuse panel to trace down the car alarm wires. I took the drivers seat out so I could crawl under the dash and I was able to wiggle the fuse panel up and forward a little but so the dowel pin in the panel released from the bracket on the visible side. But not much further than that.

I know that it's got to come out or at least pulled out enough to get behind it, but I'm afraid to put too much stress on the wires behind it. They seem really stiff from age.

By what I've described, should I expect the fuse panel to come out of the bracket? I just want to make sure that I don't create a new problem.

And if you guys have any tips for getting behind the fuse panel that's under the dash, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turns over but no fuel to cylinders