944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Instrument lighting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 PM
hemifish440
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument lighting.

Have an early 944 and I am having two issues with the instruments in the center console. First I am replacing bulbs but not getting any power to the clock or the oil gauge for the lighting. Check bulbs both directions and same issue. Also the oil gauge drops to 0 when lights are turned on but reads fine when lights are off? Is there a specific fuse for console lights? Lighter clock and oil works (lights off) so not sure its a fuse.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is probably unlikely as a fix, but I'll throw in my experience here with the oil gauge dropping to zero when the headlights are up. (For me, it was also the clock that stopped working.) After MUCH searching and fixing things that were apparently just fine, I happened to notice that in the center console behind the gauges, there were two brown wires that both had no connectors - they appeared to be cut cleanly. Brown wires on our cars are grounds, so after some checking, I figured that the PO must have (for some unknown reason) cut this wire and I was looking at the two ends. I connected both ends together and sure enough, this solved the problem. Now, when the headlights are up and on, the clock and oil pressure gauge still work fine.

Again, this may be a very specific thing with my car and something that the PO mush have done, but it may be worth a look just to see...

Quick Reply: Instrument lighting.