944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Removing front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 02:17 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing front bumper

I'm finally getting to some of the items on my list that have been pushed to the bottom, and I'm trying to remove the front bumper of my '84 944. The drivers side is pushed in a little so I'm looking to replace the bumper shock, but I just can't get it to budge. I removed the two 19mm bolts underneath, and from what I understand, the bumper should just pull out now? I'm worried that the fact that one side is pushed in may mean it's somehow stuck, but it's not pushed in so much that it's terrible noticeable. But it is slightly different from the other side, so I can see it when I look. Thanks,
John
Old 10-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The two bolts are the only thing that's holding on the bumper. You're right, having one bumper shock pushed in may have twisted something and that's why it is stuck. I'd disconnect the turn signal wires and they just give it a good yank.
Worst case, see if you can loosen up the bolts holding the bumper shocks to the body, it might let them move around a little bit and allow the bumper to come free.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Kurt and I finally just put a crowbar wrapped in cloth onto the right side and slowly pulled.... it finally came out but I had to increase the pulling a lot - I think the bumper shock is bent a little and this was the problem. Thanks for the reply and I am all set now!
john
Old 10-10-2018, 08:02 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Delete

Quick Reply: Removing front bumper