944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

A/C Delete Process

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Viking3467
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Delete Process

It looks as though it's been a while since anyone posted about the A/C delete process, so I'll refresh it with what's probably a silly question.

I recently purchased the bracket to relocate the alternator, but before I start to remove the compressor, a couple of questions come to mind:

Does one simply disconnect the lines and wires to the compressor (and vacate the area while the Freon releases its pressure), or is there a special process to go through?
Then, once everything is disconnected and the compressor is removed, do you have to remove those lines and such or can they be left in place (as long as they're secured and not just hanging loose)?

The process to remove the compressor, relocate the alternator, and fit the smaller belt seems straight-forward enough, but before I started the hands-on work, I wanted to double-check what all I'll need to do.

As always, thanks for indulging me!
Old 09-30-2018, 12:33 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

you can leave the lines in the car, just cap off the ends (i used heat shrink and zip tie) to keep dirt out in case you or a future owner ever reverses the mod.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Viking3467
8th Gear

Makes sense, I was thinking of going that direction already. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Viking3467
8th Gear

Quick update. I got the air box out, the compressor out, repositioned the alternator on the new bracket, and everything is back in its proper place and new shorter belt is ready. My new issue comes when I try to reattach the tensioner that was tensioning the compressor/alternator belt. The insertion for the tensioner is in the correct spot on the alternator, but the bolt doesn't fit (too small diameter, too short to just put a bolt on the backside, and the insertion on the alternator isn't threaded like it is on the compressor). Also, the bolt that attached the tensioner to the compressor doesn't come out of the tensioner. Do I need to find a replacement tensioner, or am I missing something blindingly obvious like usual?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

yes the alternator bolt i believe is M8 but the tensioner rod wants M10
you could just drill out the alternator, or get an M10->M8 reducer sleeve.

Quick Reply: A/C Delete Process