944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

A/C Delete Process

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:44 PM
Viking3467
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Delete Process

It looks like it's been a while since anyone posted about removing their A/C, so I'll renew the discussion with what's probably a silly question.

I purchased the bracket to move the alternator, and I've had the compressor off before so I'm not worried about removing that component. Before I start the hands-on work, a couple of questions come to mind:

Does one simply disconnect the lines/wires to the compressor (and vacate the area while the Freon releases its pressure), or is there a special process you should go through?
Then, once the lines and everything are disconnected, do they all have to be removed or can they be left in place (as long as they're secured and not hanging loose)?

It seems like a fairly straight-forward process to temporarily remove the air box, remove the compressor, attach the bracket and alternator in its place, and replace the smaller belt. But if I need to trace any lines or wires and remove those too, I see this becoming a much more involved process.

As always, thank you for indulging! Hope everyone enjoys Rennsport Reunion VI this weekend, even if it's from a distance like I'm having to!

Quick Reply: A/C Delete Process