944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Trying to solve some cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:28 PM
EMG943
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to solve some cooling issues

I have owned my current 944 for a year now. Before I aquired it, it was a garage queen, only averaging about 2000 miles a year. But I use it as a daily. When I first got it, the car ran right at the third line on the temp gauge (early car because I know that makes a diiference), come to find out the car had a bad water pump and it was leaking coolant. I fixed that, did a water pump conversion and everything. The car now statrted to run cooler, but I now suspect it was beacuse of the change in weather. All this summer the car ran at half way past the middle line (ohio summers are hot and humid so i figured that it would be normal). Now that temperatures are starting to cool down again I have noticed that not only has the engine temperature not gone down, but has gone up instead, and it is really starting to scare me. Today I noticed that my car had hit the third line on the guage and the fans were not running. I quickly turned on the A/C, but it did virtually nothing. Im trying to get an idea of what i should replace or try to fix first. I do not remember what temperature the thermostat is rated at, to my knowledge the radiator is original, and I am lost on why the fan wasnt running. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated even if its just a link to a part.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a number of things. Make sure the system is properly bled. Check the fan switch that threads into the rad. And, the obligatory clean your grounds.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a data point my car runs cooler when using the AC which I assume is because the fans run all the time. My gauge gets pretty close to the 100C line before the fans kick on high
Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 PM
michael7810
Racer

...when the AC is NOT on
Old 09-26-2018, 12:29 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

I suspect alot of these "cooling issues" are the gauges themselves. A infrared temperature gun pointed at the sending unit area gives a fairly accurate actual water temperature reading.

Quick Reply: Trying to solve some cooling issues