944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Heel toe shifting help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 PM
ZePorsche
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel toe shifting help

I'm trying to learn to heel toe but it seems like the distance between my brake and gas pedal is too far to press the break and "blip" the throttle. Anyone have this issue and can help me out? What am I doing wrong? I'd really hoping it's me and no modifications are needed. I'm driving a 1987 944 S. Thanks, guys!!!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:02 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Go on Youtube and lookup Walter Rohrl. There are videos of his feet doing a "heel toe dance" in his Audi rally car.
He actually uses both feet on the brake, depending on what's going on. Awesome driver/driving.

Great V8 footwork:
Enjoy!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:05 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have trouble with this as well. Much easier in my 914. Try keeping your heel planted by the gas pedal and rotate your toes over to the brake. That worked for me but it's not smooth. Takes practice. Watch this video of Senna
Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

There are different techniques that fit well according to shoe size, pedal location and distance, and personal preference. In my 944S and driving on the track with my size 8.5 feet, what works best is this. I brake with my right foot a little higher on the pedal than normal, I guess you could say a little "south" of the ball of my foot. When I'm far enough into the braking that it's time to shift, I rotate my foot counterclockwise, heel onto the gas pedal, to blip or double-blip the throttle. People with larger / wider feet can do well with a side-to-side technique, but this rotate technique works well for me. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The 944 pedals are perfect spacing.

Put the emphasis on your braking first, then by the time you are ready for the shift(s), just bend at the ankle sideways and jab the side of your foot at the throttle pedal.

It doesn't have to be precise (the throttle blip), you could never discern between 2-300 rpms anyway.

In the two methods with this style, by the time you need the throttle, the braking will be diminished and you are braking with just the pinky toe side of your foot while you roll your foot over by bending at the ankle.
Second way is, brake with center of foot at the right edge of brake pedal but braking straight ahead, then use edge of brake pedal as a hinge point to roll your foot over, again, bending at ankle.
Forget just swinging your heel over, bend at the ankle just as if you want to take a few steps on the pavement on the outer side of your shoe.

Totally different way to achieve nearly the same result, you are full throttle approaching corner, just as you are about to go right foot to brake, press clutch and rev engine to red line, select gear as you move to brake, release clutch. When fractions of a second count, this method is way slower.

IMO, left foot braking is almost as important to learn. As you progress, you should be on throttle and brake at the same time at several portions of any given track.

T
Old 09-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Dennis Black
Track Day

Great info. I just picked up a track car and have never really worked on this technique. Shame on me! I'm going to start working on it tho, and the left foot braking as well. My father did it, but I think old Generations used that more with routine driving for whatever reason. My left foot is really goofy though, going to take time to finesse.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM
ZePorsche
7th Gear

Thanks for the great info, everybody. After some initial attempts I can confidently say I suck at this LOL. But I'll keep at it.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:57 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Senna Acura vid demos what I meant about bending at the ankle more than trying to swing your heel over.

Never saw any footwork of Senna in Toleman, Mac, Williams F1 pedal box but his "jabby" style, especially on the throttle is pretty much how I control the pedals....excessive inputs.

My son by comparison, minimal inputs and I can't stay anywhere near him.

T
Old 10-03-2018, 11:55 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

in my experience it's easier to heel/toe when driving the car hard on the track rather than easy street driving
Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
in my experience it's easier to heel/toe when driving the car hard on the track rather than easy street driving
LOL, this is true.

I blame the shoes...

T
Old 10-05-2018, 10:24 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Practice,practice,practice ... i bought a set of those fancy "wing" pedals when is started doing DE's with my 911 , only to realize a few years later that it
was easier with the stock pedals once i got used to it !
I make it a habit of heel and toe-ing everything i drive that has a manual transmission , and when you're finally able to do it with boots on , then you've mastered the art !!!
Old 10-05-2018, 10:29 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Once youre good at it and you match down shift revs perfectly its magic to the ears. Super fun.

Pedal set up is key. Some cars are great from factory many need adjustment. Shoe also very important to pedal feel and spacing.

Like many have said practice.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about one of those 3 pedal set ups for the iracing game for muscle memory? I have one, but I use it to help learn how to back up and parallel park a tractor trailer. Cut down on the time learning on the real thing.

Quick Reply: Heel toe shifting help