Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

No Start / Maybe the Ignition Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Start / Maybe the Ignition Switch?

Alright fellow 944 owners, today in a parking lot my 84 n/a decided not to start.

When I turned the key, the Dashboard came to life as usual, but the car DID NOT CRANK. (there was no movement, it was as it the car was dead, BUT all of my Dash "Check Lights" lit up as normal as I turned the key on the first click).

After doing much reading, it seems to be either;
(a) the Ignition Switch (the key has, in the past, on occasion, felt like it was "hung-up" on something when I went to start it / difficulty in turning forward, however, I haven't experienced this issue in months),
OR.
(b) may a ground issue some place.

So, after the good people at Haggerty Insurance picked my car up on a flat-bed and dropped it off at my house, I decided to give the key one more try, AND IT STARTED-UP as if there was never any issue.

THIS tells me that I am a likely candidate to get stuck somewhere again if I don't sort-out the problem.

Any suggestions? Would a bad Ignition Switch translate to Zero power to the Starter? OR do you you think it could be a Starter Ground?

Any specifics on what to look for first?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts
Default No start

Originally Posted by Rensb
Alright fellow 944 owners, today in a parking lot my 84 n/a decided not to start.

When I turned the key, the Dashboard came to life as usual, but the car DID NOT CRANK. (there was no movement, it was as it the car was dead, BUT all of my Dash "Check Lights" lit up as normal as I turned the key on the first click).

After doing much reading, it seems to be either;
(a) the Ignition Switch (the key has, in the past, on occasion, felt like it was "hung-up" on something when I went to start it / difficulty in turning forward, however, I haven't experienced this issue in months),
OR.
(b) may a ground issue some place.

So, after the good people at Haggerty Insurance picked my car up on a flat-bed and dropped it off at my house, I decided to give the key one more try, AND IT STARTED-UP as if there was never any issue.

THIS tells me that I am a likely candidate to get stuck somewhere again if I don't sort-out the problem.

Any suggestions? Would a bad Ignition Switch translate to Zero power to the Starter? OR do you you think it could be a Starter Ground?

Any specifics on what to look for first?
OK..first were there any clunks or clicks when you first turned the key? If you heard a click or a soft thunk, there is a possiblity of the starter solenoid going bad. You may have to replace the starter. Remove the starter and take it to AutoZone or a reliable autoparts store for testing. that will determine whether or not you have to replace the switch. Depending on the year of the car this can be easy or a hassle. If you want to check out the starter, be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal first.

Quick Reply: No Start / Maybe the Ignition Switch?