944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Vacuum Line in battery compartment

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 01:50 PM
altownsend
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Line in battery compartment

Recently purchased a 1988 Porsche 944. It runs fine, and I have fixed a lot of little things. I have an ongoing issue that I can't figure out, and a second that might or might not be directly related:

The A/C blows cool, but not cold. I took the clutch off of the A/C compressor, checked everything, cleaned everything, and put it back together. No change in temperature. A/C head seems to be working: fan speed control, slide levers, A/C push button activates and deactivates the compressor, air coming out of all vents, defrost works, but.....the air is cool and not cold. I have not had it serviced for fear that the service provider is going to 'stick it to me'.

Other possibly related issue: There is a vacuum line loose and plugged in the battery compartment. It's just there. It is attached to the other vacuum line (see Y-Connection - Red Line) system in the engine compartment. There is a black canister in the battery compartment that does not have anything attached to it. I mention this because it is unusually to have a device that has no apparent use on a car. My thought is that the canister and the vacuum line are associated. I am hoping that a knowledgeable person sees this and has my fix. Photos included. - thanks

Canister - Battery Compartment

Canister-Battery Compartment-2

Canister - Vacuum Line

Y-Connection

Canister - Vacuum Line

Canister-Battery Compartment-2

Y-Connection
Old 09-09-2018, 11:32 AM
mro763
Intermediate

Might just need some Freon. A couple of years ago mine was blowing cool but not cold. Checked freon level and it was a little low. Put some still blows cold. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:40 PM
altownsend
Track Day

Thanks for the suggestion. Two developments:

1) I found that the black canister has a broken nipple on the battery side that the vacuum line was likely attached to. I fabricated one and connected the vacuum line to the black canister.
2) I cleaned the engine well and, afterwards, it had no oil or other leaks, with some exception. One exception is a hose that connects to the A/C compressor. One of the compression fittings connected to the A/C compressor hose has a seemingly small leak. It now has moisture just on the hose side of the fitting that is connected to the compressor. This may be the reason I am not getting cold air. I will pray for a legitimate A/C person in Houston and see if I can get the freon topped off and pursue replacing the hose.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:42 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Is it the hose that goes from the compressor to the condensor in front of the radiator?
Griffith's AC has an excellent hose to replace it with, and if you do it yourself it will save you money.

https://griffiths.com/products/porsc...barrier-hoses/

Quick Reply: Vacuum Line in battery compartment