944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Introduction...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 12:14 AM
'84 944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction...

I bought my car from someone who runs a mechanic shop. It's in pretty good condition for its age, the interior recently got reupholstered and everything important works. Obviously it needs the front bumper painted, but that seems to be the only major thing. It was priced pretty low (I got it for around 3k), which I think is because of the high mileage. I've only been able to drive it a few miles to my house, but in that time I can already tell I'm going to love this car! My only questions would be (A) Did I get a good deal on it? and (B) What are a few things I should check/perform maintenance on now that I have it? Thanks!

Last edited by '84 944; 01-13-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:24 AM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of Porsche ownership.If you like the car then you got a good deal (I think you did) Timing belt is a must to check/change ( if mechanic has not done this) Your car is unusual for an '84 as it has the s2 front bumper and rear ground effect. Both really help appearance in my opinion.. Some regular maintainence is as with any car air filter, oil/filter, antifreeze. anti freeze and brake fluid should have 2 year change interval. These are a few things others will chime in I am sure, but mainly welcome.and congrqats (I also have an '84 , '87 (auto) and '90 cab. Also where are you located.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 AM
'84 944
AutoX

Joejoe- Thanks for the advice! The previous owner says he replaced the cam tower gasket, timing belt, balance shaft belt, and water pump within the past year- and the clutch not long before that. I agree about the rear valance looking better, but I might try and switch the front bumper back to stock at some point. It has a much more "80's" feel to it that way, but they're probably tough to get a hold of. Also, I live in Florida.

Last edited by '84 944; 08-25-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

Welcome to the forum! You're lucky to have the belts and clutch already done. The belts are tricky as it is, but a clutch job is far more involved. And I agree that $3200 for a straight, well-running 944 with belts and clutch done recently is a good deal. 177k is nothing to worry about, honestly. Mine has just over 209k now, and though it had a wonderful previous owner (another Rennlister) who took great care of it, it's clear that these are sturdy cars and can take a LOT of driving.

Living in FL, you're not too far from the physical location of 944online.com. Ian (owner) gave me some good advice, and many seem to trust him. His selection of parts is very complete, which is helpful for some of those little things that can be so hard to find. If this is going to be a driver and not a project right away, I'd strongly suggest checking and likely replacing as many rubber bits as you can, especially fuel and brake hoses. If a fuel hose leaks, you might have a fire; if a brake hose leaks, you might find a tree in your bumper. Neither is fun! Might also be a good idea to change the fluid in the transaxle.

You might be surprised how easy it is to find a "correct" bumper. I have a full set of pre-S2 NA bumpers for sale, but they're black and Ian at 944online might have one locally (shipping a bumper from Nebraska to Florida wouldn't be cheap). Otherwise, just keep an eye on ebay and Craigslist and you'll come across something local eventually. You can't really go wrong with either style, I think.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 266 Posts

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum and the family.
All good opinions and advice given so far, and definitely a good deal as long as the engine and clutch work were done properly.
I will suggest you share more photos of the car, detail shots of engine, drivetrain, interior, everything really.... and give the vast number of experienced eyes here, not only some entertainment and joy, but a chance to inform and guide you on this Porsche path.
If / when you decide to return to the factory front bumper, I can provide you with a full setup (bumper, shocks, valance, driving and corner lights) in really nice condition. The bumpers are easy to come by but the lower valences that aren't warped and torn are much less common. I drive to south west Florida semi regularly so may be able to deliver as well. Have fun!
Old 09-15-2018, 02:38 PM
'84 944
AutoX

I've been enjoying 944 ownership so far, but now there's some kind of oil dripping out of the clutch housing...any suggestions on how to deal with that would be appreciated. Thanks for such a warm welcome!

Last edited by '84 944; 01-13-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:29 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 266 Posts

Thanks, keep the photos coming, we still haven't seen the engine!
The turbo / s2 bumper treatment is certainly more modern. With the front bumper cover being an aftermarket replica, I suggest taking a look behind it to make sure there is an actual bumper (crash protection) bar in place.

I can't identify from the photo where the leak is. The first step will be to determine if the fluid is engine oil or brake fluid. Test for slipperiness under pressure between your fingers. Oil is more we slippery, brake fluid gets squeaky. If it's oil then likely a rear main seal leak. If brake fluid then clutch slave cylinder leak.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:11 PM
'84 944
AutoX

I checked, it's definitely motor oil coming from the housing. Not a steady stream, just a few drips after I drive it. Does this mean I need to get the transmission dropped?

Last edited by '84 944; 01-13-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:45 PM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Leaky rear main seal? Look through inspection hole with a good flashlight. I meant to say your interior (dah) looks exactly like my '84. (I also like where tach starts (2o'clock))
Old 09-16-2018, 12:36 AM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

If it's the rear main seal at fault, then yes, the procedure does involve dropping the transaxle as well as the torque tube and therefore likely the rear suspension (depending on how you do it and who you ask). It's not a quick and easy job, but it's certainly possible. Dropping the transaxle and rear suspension is best done with two people, although it can be done by one person. There's a long list of things you could do while you've got those components out, so just make sure you identify as many problems as you can before you start tearing into it. A leaking rear main seal doesn't need immediate replacement as long as it's a slow enough leak, so you probably have plenty of time to plan things out. I'm curious to see the rest of the interior and some more of the underside!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look for evidence of oil leaking on the back of the Cam Tower Gasket (it's the Cork one that seems to rot away on some of these cars).
As mine fell apart, the bolts that held the cover on the gasket became loose, and I had a steady drip of oil out of the back of the Cam Tower every time I ran it.
(Oil was dripping down the back side of the engine, giving the appearance of a real main seal failure).
It's another potential Item to check.

Quick Reply: Introduction...