944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Best carpets and dash cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 12:59 PM
CanAm69
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best carpets and dash cover

Looking to replace black carpets and need a black dash cover for my 84 944. What brands are best and where to buy both?
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:58 AM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

I have a complete set of black carpets as well as two different soft black dash covers avaiable from an ‘87 (as well as the rest of the interior). I just did a quick search, and it seems late 944 or even 968 carpets will work just fine in an early 944 with only very minor adjustments for the 968 carpet. I’m away from home for another week or so, but let me know if you’re interested and I can send you pictures when I get back.

Otherwise, ebay usually has a good selection of used carpets, and Lloyds mats seem to be generally preferred (footwells and trunk area).

Why are you replacing the carpets?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:24 PM
CanAm69
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out your sources. My car had the carpets and the entire interior removed by the previous owner who turned it into a drivers school track car. I am refitting all the interior parts removed back into the car to drive it on the street.
I am interested in the'87 944 interior, but would like to know exactly where adjustments would be necessary to make it fit. Don't think your dash cover will work on an 84, but there are so many available, I'm not sure which one is the best for the money. .Woudl rather spend a bit more and get a good one.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:56 AM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

You're right, a late dash cover is pretty useless in an early car. You might be able to make your own cover, actually. Just pick a material that suits your desires, measure 3 times, cut once, and you're good. You'd probably wind up with a cleaner appearance if you use a thin material and tuck it in between trim pieces, rather than some covers that are just way too thick.

There really isn't much adjustment needed, I think. You'd have to cut a hole for the seatbelt mounts, but I think the rest should be pretty much the same. I'll get pics to you no later than the 21st.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ly-carpet.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rpet-swap.html
Old 08-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carpet Kits

I got mine from AppBiz - It's the Plush Felt. The kit was $499 (I think) and Bob from AppBiz is great to deal with. He will however try to discourage you from trying to install it yourself, "Run from anyone with a spray can of glue, That is a sure sign they are an amateur".
Well, I'm an amateur, but I'm also meticulous. I knew that I didn't want over spray on my car interior, so on the advice that I read in another discussion thread, I installed my carpet with Low-profile velcro (You can get it on amazon for about $8 a roll, you'll need about 7).
I stripped the car down to the bare metal both front and back. and after a weekend of laying-out the carpet (a "Dry-Fit test - the kit comes with NO instructions), proceeded to lay carpet.
It took about 3 weekends, maybe 5-6 hours each weekend.
I was VERY happy with the results - And I'm a "Factory Original" type of guy.

**Also - Make sure you put your sub-floor in - I used s dense rubber type foam mat material - It controls the sound, heat, and gives the carpet a flat surface to rest on.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

Default Carpet photos

Here are some photos of the carpets I have. Complete set with no rips or thin spots, though the trunk floor carpet is a bit dirty on the underside. I'm not sure if you'd want rear seats as well, but I've included photos of them at the bottom just in case. $250 + shipping for the carpets without seats, $450 + shipping with seats, or make an offer. PM is preferred, if you're able.

Main cabin area

A better look at the driver's footwell

Trunk area along with two random mats

Old 08-21-2018, 05:11 PM
CanAm69
5th Gear

Hey, thanks for the photos. I need to find all the factory sound deadening material for the floors, tunnel and rear area first, or make it out of some padding(need to research that). So, I might need some time before I commit to buying the carpets. I know where there is a car I might be able to remove it from, will look at it next wee
Old 08-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

No worries, just let me know!

As far as sound deadening goes, I'd imagine you'd have better luck with modern materials. In addition, when I pulled these carpets, there wasn't a whole lot of sound deadening material under there, and none of it was too willing to come up. Dynamat is supposed to be really good stuff, and they have various thickness options available. There are probably other options out there, though.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/

Quick Reply: Best carpets and dash cover