944 Door Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 09:12 PM
pinegaaj
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 944 Door Lock Issues

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum so I am unaware of where I can find this since it has likely been asked before, but...

I have an '87 944 that I have been restoring from a barn find. Unfortunately, one of the issues that I have not figured out yet is the door lock. I have the correct key because it will start the car (since rebuilding engine) and open the passenger door and hatch. The key does not open the driver's door lock most of the time; however, it HAS worked once or so. I can lock the door from the inside but not the outside. Also, if I lock the door and then try to shut it, the door will hit the latch and be impossible to shut.

Could anyone give me some advice or lead me toward another thread that will help me out? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:44 AM
The Forgotten On
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 244 Posts

Sound like the entire mechanism is gummed up.

I recommend pulling it and cleaning, then lubing it with lithium grease.

Only lube the lock itself with graphite powder. Liquids will trap crud and gunk it up again.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Check your owners manual. I think that the drivers door lock is made to prevent you from locking the door with the button, then closing the door. It must be locked with the key. This is to prevent you from locking yourself out of the car with the keys in the ignition. A little Teutonic logic!

Quick Reply: 944 Door Lock Issues