Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What is this plug? And why won’t this thing start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Codyman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this plug? And why won’t this thing start?

I don’t know what this connects to.. i just traded an MG for this 944, and it ran great for one day, now it won’t start. I’ve done timing belt and the spark plugs and i just checked the reference sensors but it will only turn over. Any thoughts what next? Also this plug here isn’t connected to anything and I’m wondering if anyone has a pointer as to what it is. Thanks guys pardon my stupidity i usually work with air cooled vws
Old 06-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Schmooey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is interesting to me because I don't even have this on my '84. See pic - it's just an open area on what I always took to be the lift ring..... now I'm wondering what I'm missing!
John

Old 06-21-2018, 02:20 PM
WC944
Intermediate

I think that is likely the connector for the cruise control.. My guess is the cruise control has been pulled out and is no longer under the hoodl
Old 06-22-2018, 09:16 AM
gwistrup
Intermediate

One of the first tests to do is see if the tach needle bounces when cranking. If it does not move, you probably have a reference sensor problem. If it does bounce, you need to check the other basics, fuel pressure and spark. The DME relay is another classic failure.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Codyman
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by gwistrup
One of the first tests to do is see if the tach needle bounces when cranking. If it does not move, you probably have a reference sensor problem. If it does bounce, you need to check the other basics, fuel pressure and spark. The DME relay is another classic failure.
i prdered a new dme yesterday, i do have tach bounce. Thanks! I may ask more in the future if the dme doesn’t fix it
Old 08-11-2018, 09:02 PM
NRath
Intermediate

If you're a little bit familiar with a voltmeter and have a 12v power source, a little wire, and some 1/4" disconnects from that air cooled party, you can test your DME and find a direction asap...
Hit up Clark's for the procedure.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:23 PM
demo57
AutoX

dont know about plug, but check rotor. i had the locking nut come loose and had similar problems and did all above. then looked at rotor.

Quick Reply: What is this plug? And why won’t this thing start?