944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Bellhouse stuck on 944 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:53 PM
PetePorsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bellhouse stuck on 944 automatic

I've begun replacing a shredded flex damper in my automatic, and now I'm having some trouble getting enough clearance to replace it. I removed all the ATF clamps, reference sensors, flex damper bolts, ground wire, the shaft coupler/pinch bolt and the four bellhouse bolts only to find the bellhouse not coming further than about one inch. It seems to hang up somewhere at the top of the bellhouse, but I can't find out what is preventing it from coming loose. Do I need to remove the sensor bracket too? My other guess is that the entire thing is being held up by the ATF lines, could this be possible with all the clamps removed?

I had initially removed the four bolts connecting the bellhouse to the torque tube, and by doing this I was able to pull the bellhouse a bit further back, but it wasn't enough to get it off. I also read online somewhere that the bellhouse and torque tube need to stay attached to each other, so I put the bolts back in, is this correct?
All help would be appreciated!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

There's a circlip on the end of the driveshaft, on the engine side of the flywheel damper thing.
That's usually what catches auto 944 owners in their work.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:53 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are able to document an part of this process (I know haw hard it is to stop and take pictures), please Post or PM me. I have an 84 Automatic, an I'm always trying to get a little more insight to the flex damper (for my maintenance turn).
What were the indications that yours had shredded? Rubber chunks in the inspection hole of the bellhouse? Any Sounds at idle? Was it an All-it-Once (Worked one day, Shredded the next), or was there some lead-up to the need to tear it down?
Old 08-19-2021, 07:06 PM
wheelmotive
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PetePorsche
I've begun replacing a shredded flex damper in my automatic, and now I'm having some trouble getting enough clearance to replace it. I removed all the ATF clamps, reference sensors, flex damper bolts, ground wire, the shaft coupler/pinch bolt and the four bellhouse bolts only to find the bellhouse not coming further than about one inch. It seems to hang up somewhere at the top of the bellhouse, but I can't find out what is preventing it from coming loose. Do I need to remove the sensor bracket too? My other guess is that the entire thing is being held up by the ATF lines, could this be possible with all the clamps removed?

I had initially removed the four bolts connecting the bellhouse to the torque tube, and by doing this I was able to pull the bellhouse a bit further back, but it wasn't enough to get it off. I also read online somewhere that the bellhouse and torque tube need to stay attached to each other, so I put the bolts back in, is this correct?
All help would be appreciated!
Pete.....did you ever document this process?

Quick Reply: Bellhouse stuck on 944 automatic