944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Carpet Insulation Replacement Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carpet Insulation Replacement Time

As Spring nears, it's time to tackle the interior work of the car. First off, the under carpet insulation. I'll try to keep a running log of he activities as I go. The carpet kit arrived yesterday so I'm motivated, but other things keep getting in the way.
Anyway, as I replace sections, I'll include photos.
After reading the advice of others, I wanted to go with the Closed-Cell "Tool-Box Foam", but had difficulty tracking down the size and thickness (1" for the front footwell, 1/2' for the rear footwell). So I went with a K-Flex Closed-Cell Insulation-sheet (It's denser than the tool-box foam, more rubber mat in nature, but not heavy. Good for sound deadening and also heat insulation).
The pictures are self explanatory; I measured, cut a template, fitted.
I've got the passenger side to do, and the Hatch Deck.

The following users liked this post:
scoper (10-23-2023)
Old 05-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

How can I order or obtain some of that foam for my floors? Thanks in advance
Old 05-06-2018, 11:39 PM
Rensb
Advanced

I ordered it from a website called "Zoro".
The product is K-Flex Elastomeric Insulation Sheet (1" or 1/2", both come in 36" x 48" - I ended-up using one of each).
I was expecting something a little more ridge (like tool box foam). This stuff is like a rubber mat, but not as heavy.
At first I thought I wasn't going to be happy with it (because I was expecting something stiffer, and on day 1 out of the box there was a "Rubber mat" smell"), but after I let the product air-out for an afternoon, and cut the pieces to fit, I was pleased with the "After" result.
The pieces are sung enough where I didn't have to glue them down. They just fit right in the floor pans.
I did a carpet kit from appbiz (plush felt), which came with a carpeted floor mat, so between that and the carpet, there was no "Give" (i.e. Spongey-ness) to the floor at all.
I'll try to include some more pictures, but the product really helped "Flatten-out" the floor.
The rectangular section (in-between the seat bolt-down holes) required an additional 1/2' thick piece (not shown) underneath the middle and end sections ( but not on the raised parts).
PM me and I could probably explain it better.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:03 AM
Rensb
Advanced

Default Carpet Installation - Update

Updated pictures and the "Finished Product" (but I'm finding that nothing is ever really "finished" on these cars)

The Foam in the Foot wells was just laid in place. The foam over the back deck was put in place with 2" wide x 10' long Velcro from Amazon.

All of the carpet was put in place with 1" wide x 10' long Low-Profile Velcro.

It took about 2 1/2 days.

The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (09-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Carpet Insulation Replacement Time