944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

86' 944 na Clutch pedal problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Niuckbrock944
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 86' 944 na Clutch pedal problems

Yesterday I noticed my clutch pedal was acting up, then it went insane. It would stick to the ground and be hard to get back up (which sucks when driving). So I pocked around, no fluid coming from the slave cylinder, brake fluid is at a good level, really dirty though. I removed the power spring (the big spring thing that attaches to the pedal) it did help with it getting stuck to the ground. now I only have about an inch and a half of usable clutch and its only in one spot. The pedal moves randomly while driving and will stay in one place if pressure is held on it. I am going to adjust the part that connects the slave with the pedal. I will keep this page updated. Thanks in advance, I open to any and all advice.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 PM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you can get the pedal back up and give it a few quick pumps and all is good for awhile...... Replace both the Master (on top) and the Slave (on clutch bell housing), don't forget the blue hose from the Brake reservoir.

If you have an Power Bleeder it will make the job much easier bleeding out the air.

The last time I decided to "go cheap" I replaced the Master as it was leaking, only to find out the Slave was shot also.

Michael
Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

I agree with Michael. You can begin by trying a thorough flush of the hydraulics (yes with a positive-pressure bleeder). However, unless you somehow got air into the system, I suspect you'll need to replace one or both cylinders. Blue fill hose yes, but check also the condition of the flexible hose and rigid line between the two cylinders. And flush the brakes too. Make flushing an annual maintenance chore in the future, it will greatly prolong the life of all components. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 86' 944 na Clutch pedal problems