944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

85.5 rim size options

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:56 PM
944tr3roverp4
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85.5 rim size options

Greetings! This is probably the most frequently asked question, but I have searched related threads and can't quite find the same question/answer. Forgive me if this has already been addressed elsewhere.

I have just bought a 1985.5 944 in fantastic condition. It has the 15" telephone dials. I know this sounds shallow but for me to be really into this car as a long term keeper (which is what I want to do with it), the looks have to appeal to me a little more. So, I've started doing some research on wider rims. I've seen all sorts of cautions, stating that 1983-85 rims won't fit (I think due to offset) and that 1987-on rims won't fit either for the same reason. I've seen stuff about wider axle cars, stating that rims from those cars won't fit narrower axle cars, and other comments saying that's rubbish and that they will fit. It's all very confusing. When I look at manufacturers of new, reproduction Fuchs rims (for example), they just give sizes and offsets, stating they'll fit all types of 944. Something tells me that might not be true. I know there are many offsets, but I'm struggling to get the absolute facts on what will fit. Also, I'm finding manufacturers of those new repro Fuchs only seem to have them starting in 18 inch diameter. I want this car to look like it's from the 1980s and not to look as if I'm trying to make it look more modern than it is. I would definitely like to go wider, but I'm not convinced I would want to go bigger than 16 inch. Can anyone say definitively which wheels from which model year of car will fit my vehicle without spacers (I'd rather not get into spacers unless I have to)? Or if there are specific offsets that will work? I'd prefer to go with 8 inch by 16 inch if possible, but doesn't have to be that. Also, can anyone recommend an alloy wheel distributor in North America, preferably selling Fuchs replicas but I'm not married to that look, who can knowledgeably supply the size/offset that I need, or is at least helpful? Some have said that wider 15 inchers will make the car look as if it's lifted, but if the rolling radius is no different, I can's see how that can be the case. Any thoughts? Many thanks, Tim
Old 03-31-2018, 09:58 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your offset is 23.7 mm. Porsche used them up '86 on the 944. So any '83-'86 wheel will fit properly. Porsche also did a 1 year only (1986) 16" Fuch's in the early offset.

Here's a helpful resource:
http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php
Old 04-01-2018, 01:28 AM
944tr3roverp4
8th Gear

Hi SNB13 and thank you so very much for your kind reply. So good to be here on such a helpful forum, unlike some other forums I'm a member of. That's a really useful source for great information that you gave me the link for. Do you think, by the way, that either earlier rims, or later ones, are unlikely to fit (or unlikely to be advisable) due to different offsets? Sorry to ask yet another question.... Tim
Old 04-01-2018, 12:39 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 944tr3roverp4
I've seen all sorts of cautions, stating that 1983-85 rims won't fit
This is false. 83-86 wheels are exactly what you want. From another 944 at any rate. From another model you need to know more specifics.

If they are aftermarket, both width and offset are a variable, both need to be correct. Since there are two variables, there isn't an exact answer in aftermarket wheels. Closely matching the OE specs is a good starting point though.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:21 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi SNB13 and thank you so very much for your kind reply. So good to be here on such a helpful forum, unlike some other forums I'm a member of. That's a really useful source for great information that you gave me the link for. Do you think, by the way, that either earlier rims, or later ones, are unlikely to fit (or unlikely to be advisable) due to different offsets? Sorry to ask yet another question.... Tim
You have some wiggle room. The higher the offset, more the wheel will ride inside the wheel well. You'll be more likely to hit brake and suspension components. The lower the offset, the more the wheel will stick out. With this set-up you're more likely to hit the fender and/or have some rubbing.

Another good resource for fitment comparison is this:
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Just make sure you put in 23 or 24 mm for the OEM offset. Don't use their specs for the 944, they only have the late fitment in their database.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:45 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, can anyone recommend an alloy wheel distributor in North America, preferably selling Fuchs replicas but I'm not married to that look, who can knowledgeably supply the size/offset that I need, or is at least helpful?
Here a little write up I did last year: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ts-are-in.html

BTW those 16x8 rear Maxilite's are a 11mm offset with a 1 inch spacer. The front's are 23mm offset, no spacer. I hope is helps.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:43 PM
944tr3roverp4
8th Gear

Thanks everyone! Great replies, great info. Great write-up Marc. Brilliant info ref rim sellers only having data for late cars, snb13. Thanks for the clarification, FrenchToast. Tim

Quick Reply: 85.5 rim size options