944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Brake Caliper Frame Rubbing on Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 11:22 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Frame Rubbing on Caliper

I'm at my wits-end with this, and any wisdom would be appreciated.
After removing the front calipers, and replacing the seals, I cleaned-up the calipers with a wire brush, and went to reinstall them.
The mounting bracket sits flush (no gaps / square & tight against the frame), but the large, outer floating caliper, is "forced-down" onto the rotor from the tension from the spring.
No matter what configuration I slide the calipers to, the 2 outer edges of the floating caliper drag against the rotor until I "lift" the Caliper up (to counter-act the wire spring that forcing it into the rotor).
Any solutions from the crowd? What am I doing wrong guys?

Image 1 - I was "Pointing" to the outer-edges where the caliper is dragging on the rotor

Image 2 - The caliper (with-out me lifting it to remove the tension of the spring on the back side)

Image 3 - Lifting the Caliper to remove the tension (no dragging)

The type of front spring that is pushing the caliper into the rotor
Old 03-29-2018, 11:28 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Images 2 and 3 should be swapped around.
Image 2 shows me lifting the caliper up (you can see there is no gap / light by the top square caliper "bolt").
Image 3 shows the caliper as it is, dragging on the rotor (you can see the gap / light coming through by the top Square bolt"

If I were to push down on the caliper pot with my right hand (to counter-act the spring, then it levels out.

What am I missing?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 PM
Pin It
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Pop in the pads and you should be fine. The floating frame will hit the rotors when extended without pads.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:12 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pin It
Pop in the pads and you should be fine. The floating frame will hit the rotors when extended without pads.
Seconded.

T
Old 04-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Default SOLVED

Thanks 915 & Pin It!. For some reason I wasn't processing the next step of connecting the slot in the outer pad to the tab on the frame. After I placed the pads in, and got the tabs hooked-up, everything worked great. I was just fixated on "Frame is on, rubbing on Rotor, What's wrong", and wasn't following the process through. Cut me some slack, the brakes have been off since November, and I may have forgotten a couple of things.
Thanks for the help guys.

**And for all the other Rennlist "Do it Yourselfers" - Put the frame tab in the slot.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Frame Rubbing on Caliper