Whisper of Smoke - Radiator Top Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whisper of Smoke - Radiator Top Driver's Side

All -
In the winter time, my car (84 NA) goes into storage (in my garage) for the winter. When the weather hits above 50 degrees 2 or 3 days in a row (as it's been known to do in Michigan every once in a while), I start it up.
Lately, with the hood up, I've noticed a faint whisper of smoke (almost mist like) that seems to originate around the area where the top radiator hose goes into the radiator beneath the black plate that is connected to the front of the air filter box.
The smoke is VERY light, and as soon as the fans turn on it's gone. At first I though that the upper Rad hose might need to be tightened (that it was mist or steam escaping), but I definitely believe that it is smoke of some kind (it's the smell).

Before I go removing the Air Box to gain access to the spot, any ideas what it could be? What should I be keen on looking for?

Additional Information
- No overheating issues
- No unusual squeaks or nosies
- The fans kick-on like they should after the engine gets up to temp.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The wiring in that area which might be a source of electrical smoke are the headlights, fan thermostat and cooling fans. Check for bare wires there.

Also, see if your cooling fan blades are rubbing the bottom side of the radiator hose and throwing up a cloud of rubber, dirt or coolant. Sometimes the clamp that secures the hose to the airbox bracket comes loose and lets the hose drop down and rub the fan.

That's all I can think of!
Old 03-28-2018, 02:52 AM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

had similar with mine, thought it was smoke, however was steam from the small overflow tube that runs from the filler neck down to the bottom of the radiator.....
regards
mike
Old 03-29-2018, 10:56 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reassurance. I've run it again (but only for a short time), and it didn't happen. I think it's going to be one of those "Keep a close eye on it" type of items.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:19 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that might be an air bubble hot spot in the cooling system which is why the plastic side cans (for the radiator) get brittle and fail there first. I have one that has been doing that for years, I try to keep my water level up - I think that helps....Bruce

Quick Reply: Whisper of Smoke - Radiator Top Driver's Side