944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

1990 944S2 just delivered

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:45 PM
TimATC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 944S2 just delivered

Hi everyone I just wanted to give thanks to all that contribute to this site. I’ve been lurking here for the past few months trying to learn as much as I could about the 944. This is an amazing forum. I just had a 1990 944S2 delivered, and I’m so excited. I searched long and hard for an S2 in the condition I was looking for (not too nice, yet not roached). Finally last week I came across this 79K mile original owner car, with a complete maintenance history. The car has only been driven 2,000ish miles in the last 7 years. I have some work to do, but that’s what I was looking for. Timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, and all rollers/tensioner were replaced 5,000 miles ago, but that was in 2011. I’m thinking new belts are in order due to the age of the belts. It has the original clutch also, and a quick spin around the block was a bit “jumpy”, and I’m thinking a new clutch is in order.
Looking for advice on what else I should get done to this car that has lower miles, but hasn’t been driven much in the last 7-10 years. I plan on doing most of the work myself so I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions as time goes on. Hopefully someday I’ll be able to answer some.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:02 AM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would just replace the belts and drive it for a while. The water pump and idlers should be ok after only 5000 miles.

The clutch roughness may only be accumulated rust on the flywheel and pressure plate friction surfaces after sitting so much. If you have the rubber center clutch and it breaks, you will hear a definite metallic "clunk" as the mechanical stop on the clutch hub takes over from the rubber hub. Before replacing the clutch, it won't hurt to drive it and see if it smoothes out or you hear noise.

I would also flush the brake and clutch fluid, engine coolant and PS fluid. Also, at some point drain the fuel tank, remove the fuel strainer screen from the tank sump and see what comes out of the sump. It may have varnish and asphaltines in it, left by years of fuel evaporation. If your car is running now this might not be a problem like it would in a car that had sat up for years without running.
HTH
Old 03-14-2018, 02:18 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check age of the tires. Your timing belt with age can be inspected before replacement. Just open the belt cover and peek with a flash light
Old 03-15-2018, 04:53 PM
TimATC
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. Flushing all the fluids is at the top of the list for sure. Belt inspection before replacement seems like the smart way to go. Will a “bad” belt be obvious?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:48 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

even if the timing and balance belts look as new as minny pearls hat, change them.

you might also inspect the cam chain and pads. 2k miles over seven years is a lot of dry starts on the plastic.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:16 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Congrats on your purchase Tim. I'm a big fan of your colour!

Like others have said I would recommend the belts, fluids and change the cam chain and tensioner pads based purely on time. It's good piece of mind.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:05 PM
jurnes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
even if the timing and balance belts look as new as minny pearls hat, change them.

you might also inspect the cam chain and pads. 2k miles over seven years is a lot of dry starts on the plastic.
Timing pads are a must unless you have written proof that they were done in a timely manner. Don't risk expensive repair for an inexpensive maint part.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:12 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the timing chain pads. Easy job to pull the cover and have a look.

congradulations on your S2,
Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

Congrats! Looks nice on the outside, and it'll no doubt be a great long-term project. You and I will be in a similar position with our 944s. I am awaiting delivery of a clean, well-maintained and well-documented S, and I am also looking forward to getting my hands dirty with its upcoming needs.

As for your question: fuel lines under the hood...ask how I know. Lindsey Racing sells kits for both the pressure/return lines at the back of the rail as well as the jumper lines to/from the damper at the front for the S2. Absolutely worth it.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Pharos
3rd Gear

Very nice, i like the colour!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 AM
TimATC
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the comments. So far I’ve changed the timing and balance belts (used the Continental kit from Pelican Parts), and the chain tensioner pads. None of the removed parts looked too bad, but better safe than sorry I suppose. Mr. T, thanks for the advice, new lines on order, should be here Tuesday. The supply line at the back of the rail looked shady when I took it off for the tensioner pad job.
I’ve also got new tires, adjusted the parking brake, relplaced the leaking sunroof seal ( think I broke the sunroof gears reinstalling the panel), and had the worn cloth edges of the kick panel carpets repaired. Starting the clutch tomorrow, wish me luck!!
Old 05-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 68 Posts

Congratulations on your S2! I bought one in January and it is an incredibly fun car. And I have to say, every time I drive it people smile, wave or stop me to talk about it. Like you, all fluids, belts, pads etc. swapped. Other than that there can be a lot of niggly but simple issues that has kept Clark’s Garage (RIP) permanently open on my laptop. And although Pelican is amazing, another resource I would recommend is Parts Heaven in Hayward, CA or Paragon Products. I am lucky enough to live near Parts Heaven but they also have an e-bay store and website. For example my heating was always on and based on the troubleshooting tips on Clark’s Garage it turned out to be a little plastic holder/clip that held the fresh air/heater flap rod that just got old and broke. Parts Heaven had it in stock! They are also a dismantler with TONS of Porsche parts.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:32 AM
TimATC
Rennlist Member

Well the clutch is done. Had a bit of a longer than expected route to the finish. Torque tube rebuild detour to be exact. So dropped the rear suspension, removed torque tube and replaced with rebuilt one. The new tube is in, suspension back in, transaxle reinstalled this afternoon. This weeks agenda includes cleaning and repacking the CV joints and new CV boots, reinstall the axles. Install new fuel and brake lines, flush brake and clutch lines, oil change, and coolant flush. Once that’s done just need to bolt up the exhaust and hope she starts. Hahaha.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:05 AM
Mr. Toasty
Advanced

Nice! Lots of work. What caused you to decide to replace the torque tube?
Old 06-05-2018, 10:09 AM
TimATC
Rennlist Member

Link to video of torque tube before rebuild. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdm6ikh2i3...e%202.MOV?dl=0

Quick Reply: 1990 944S2 just delivered