944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

How many belts does a 944 have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Aw3som3Guy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many belts does a 944 have?

I got a 1986 944 somewhat recently, and it doesn't have any maintenance records, so we took it to a local mechanic to do a basic inspection and change the timing belts. Now, in the mechanics defense, it is possible we just said "belts", so they changed the serpentine and accessory drive belts. Now, my question is, is there any chance that one of these is actually the timing belt, and if not, can I change it with the engine in the car? Also, seeing as it has no maintenance records, is the clutch something that I should change if I don't know the history of it, or should I just wait for it to fail then fix it. Last but not least, the power steering doesn't seem to do anything. In fact, when we bought the car, the PO told us it had manual steering, and after test driving, we believed him. Now we think the power steering might be leaking, which the mechanic might have fixed, but if its not working/leaking, will driving it make the problem worse, or is it fine?

Last edited by Aw3som3Guy; 02-18-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: words
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 belts: timing, balance shaft & accessory--no serpentine. The timing belt can be done at home, but there are some special tools. Also, the other 2 belts have to come off to get to the timing belt. Essentially redoing anything your mechanic did.

Where are you located?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the clutch... If you crawl under the car on the driver's side and have a look at the bell housing for the clutch, there is an observation window where you can see whether your clutch needs to be replaced. See here: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-03.htm

Oh, and bookmark http://www.clarks-garage.com You'll be on there often, although I guess it's worth mentioning that Clark passed away several months back, so none of us are sure how long the site will be up.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by snb13
3 belts: timing, balance shaft & accessory--no serpentine.
Since it has power steering it would actually have 4 belts.

Justin

Quick Reply: How many belts does a 944 have?