944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944s2 Cam Cover Set - Huge shoutout to Travis @ Rennbay

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:04 PM
vwghia-guy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944s2 Cam Cover Set - Huge shoutout to Travis @ Rennbay

A few years back I purchased an 89 944S2. Great car, fun to drive. But I have always had a cold start problem. I've replaced every sensor on the motor to no avail. My problem would worsen if it was damp or wet outside. After the car left me sitting, it was time to sell it and move on to something else. After talking with Travis, he suggested I install one of his Cam gear cover sets (rennbay.com/cam-gear-cover-set-944s-944s2-968.html). Since I really like this car, I decided to try it. I also purchased a new distributor cap, rotor, and hall sensor. In the pics below, I've tried to show what I found. Needless to say, I had problems with the original parts as they were badly distorted and misaligned. The parts from Travis were EXACT fit and required no modifications for installation. The pics below just show what I encountered and are not meant to be a step-by-step instructional guide. BTW, the car now runs better that it ever has.

Original Cam cover. Notice gap at plug wires where outer half bolts to back half.

Another shot of gap.

Clue. Loose bolt.

Problem! Mounting bosses completely deteriorated.

Damage to inner distributor cap caused by improper alignment.

Better view of damaged cover. Note that hall sensor was damaged as well. Also notice that cam gear had been rubbing next to lower mounting bolt.

Back half of housing installed.

Timing gear and belt reinstalled.

Damaged rear cover

Last edited by vwghia-guy; 01-31-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added product to title
Old 01-31-2018, 02:48 PM
vwghia-guy
Track Day

Completely reassembled!
Old 02-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Coloradoguy
Advanced

I always feel fantastic when I tear into a mechanical problem and discover an actual real cause that accounts for it. Slapping on new parts and enjoying the results is what makes home wrenching so satisfying (as opposed to the feeling you get when you can't quite find the cause).

Glad you are back on the road and happy. Thanks for posting the pics.

Quick Reply: 944s2 Cam Cover Set - Huge shoutout to Travis @ Rennbay