Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Non-start continues. ...... Removing old alarm.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 PM
944volks
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-start continues. ...... Removing old alarm.

Still can't get my 3ltr S2 engine to start. See other thread.
After opening can of worms with fuse box, although this is still on going, I can't find anything remotely looking dodgy.
I have decided to consider the patched in, after market alarm system.
I have no fob for it, hate the way its been wired, but believe it is still active.

So my question how do you go about removing an old alarm system without immobilising car?
Have pics of the system if it helps.
Karl.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:31 AM
coonabarabran
Intermediate

Does it kick over at all? I have had an incident where I locked the passenger door of my S2 (instead of the driver's door which I normally do), then couldn't start it - for hours. It was after trying all manner of things then I finally rotated the key in the passenger door lock a few dozen times and it started. It seems to have been the Porsche central locking system that may or may not be integrated with the alarm. I don't know for sure, and it has never happened again. A lot of stuff in the car is old and is probably not working properly.

On my 1988 Turbo I got in an old auto-electrician to help remove the Python alarm, the after-market central locking system, a bunch of movement sensors and it was truly ugly sight under the dash. We found several relays in the alarm system, not all together either, one was hidden under the ignition switch. There were also 2 old Mobile Phone car kits still in there to add to the confusion. I'm about to go through it again on an 86 Turbo I have bought as someone's abandoned project.

You need someone from the era of installing those old alarms who understands what was commonly done back then.

Good luck
Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Coloradoguy
Advanced

I feel your pain.

I recently had a glance under my dash driver's side and noticed a Frankenstein of wires used to hook up an aftermarket sound system, along with a disconnected 10 or 14 pin connector. Who knows what's going on in there?

As for your problem, wouldn't it be possible to simply restore the wiring to what an appropriate wiring diagram for your year shows? Whatever doesn't match should belong to the offending alarm system? Or is this a too-optimistic solution?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 PM
coonabarabran
Intermediate

Coloradoguy - it seems simple to restore the wiring, but that means traceing out the loom and while you are doing that your car won't start until you remove and remedy everything. I have extra wires going into both doors where some gadget is overiding the original Porsche central locking for instance. Every time you remove a wire, yo uhave to check if the car will start, the doors lock and unlock etc. I know people who have had to reassemble the alarms back into their cars because thay can't work out exactly WTF is going on. Some installers had their own tricks, like hiding relays in odd places. There is also a seperate Alarm Key for a lock in the back panel of the car.

I know the sound system story as well, at least that's easier to remedy, but nonetheless is very messy.

The alarm problem is something you have to attack in one go, and do it all at that time.

Have you ever traced out Porsche 944 wiring diagrams? They go backwards and forwards from page to page so you end up needing every page of the schematic, and here's a hint, try to get a schematic wityh all the wire colour codes etc in English.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shouldn't be that difficult, google bypassing the factory alarm and unplug the brain for the aftermarket alarm and try to start the car. I would suggest putting a test light on the coil, a noid light on an injector and a spark plug tester light while you do your testing to make it much easier with visual clues.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Coloradoguy
Advanced

"Have you ever traced out Porsche 944 wiring diagrams?"

Indeed I have. Page to page, back and forth, with none of the connectors numbered or located.

I don't think I fully appreciated the task involved. I've just recently discovered a dodgy mess under my dash from what I presume is an aftermarket audio install, but at least my car is running so I'm reluctant to go in there and mess with it.

For 944volks: Any chance of contacting the manufacturer and getting any tips from them? After all, they built the bloody thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non-start continues. ...... Removing old alarm.