944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Should I buy an 80's model 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:31 AM
Brenden Burlison
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I buy an 80's model 944

I'm seeing a lot of ads for cheap $(1,000-4,000) 80's model(s) 944. I'm looking to buy something cheap, and work my way up in the Porsche industry. Would a 944 be worth my time? Would i have a hard time selling it? With 5 grand being my max budget, do I have much of a choice? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:39 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Brenden Burlison
I'm seeing a lot of ads for cheap $(1,000-4,000) 80's model(s) 944.
I'm looking to buy something cheap .....Would a 944 be worth my time?
Honesly, no. The days of Porsche math working in your favor ended with the cheap air-cooled 911's which are no longer cheap. From about 2009-2015 you could throw darts at a wall and emerge a winner.

"I have a pile of worksheets dating back 15 years. The 944 line is one of the most expensive Porsche's to maintain....."
--A respected Porsche technician.

You can spend a lot of effort and money to make the math work. It doesn't. The cars are a premium to sort, restore and maintain in every conceivable combination. The money out might just as well be a check from Lart's shop for parting out to serve a small cult of enthusiasts (in their various stages of ownership) -- in effect making him an almost-new parts reseller. It's not easy selling a whole car.

There are a number of naysayers.... but a fair number of them are owners of non-running cars. If they drove them, the effort to keep them on the road would be considerably greater.......

Last edited by odurandina; 12-31-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:56 AM
Brenden Burlison
3rd Gear

Thank you, so based off that, is there a good Porsche to start with, build up, and sell?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree the 944 (or any Porsche for that matter) is "cost prohibitive" to maintain. If you have to pay someone to do all of the work, you will loose your shirt. The same goes for if you expect the car to be out on the road, drivable all of the time. There is (or at least seems) always something to be done or worked on. If you are looking to "Flip" a car, I can't see how the math would work-out on that either. Most of these cars seem to require some amount of work from neglect or cheap "half-fixes" by previous owners. But enough of the negative. If you find something that was well maintained, AND you are willing (and have the space, time, and patience) to venture into doing some / most of the work yourself, then you can bring a car back to life. Will they appreciate? Who knows. But I can tell you I look forward to the summer days when I can take mine out of the garage. The "Have to" work is frustrating (extremely frustrating). If your dream is to have / resurrect an older car, it can be done (I have a lot of pride in my car, as I'm sure a lot of the owners that read this site do), but if your plan is to buy / sell / and trade-up into newer models, I don't see a path there.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Financedog
Track Day

Originally Posted by odurandina
Honesly, no. The days of Porsche math working in your favor ended with the cheap air-cooled 911's which are no longer cheap. From about 2009-2015 you could throw darts at a wall and emerge a winner.

"I have a pile of worksheets dating back 15 years. The 944 line is one of the most expensive Porsche's to maintain....."

You can spend a lot of effort and money to make the math work. It doesn't. The cars are a premium to sort, restore and maintain in every conceivable combination. The money out might just as well be a check from Lart's shop for parting out to serve a small cult of enthusiasts (in their various stages of ownership) -- in effect making him an almost-new parts reseller. It's not easy selling a whole car.

There are a number of naysayers.... but a fair number of them are owners of non-running cars. If they drove them, the effort to keep them on the road would be considerably greater.......
I agree that if you buy a cheap POS 944 and hope to flip it, the chances of you coming out ahead, at this point in time are slim at best.

On the other end of the spectrum, I purchased a well sorted and cared for one owner 944 Turbo from a neighbor 3 years ago and it has been an absolute pleasure. I paid basically market at the time, but prices had just started to come off rock bottom, and was recently offered $7K more than I paid......no way I am selling, as I love it way too much. It isn’t my daily driver, but just a sunny day weekend fun car.

I have seen some comments on this board that make me laugh, insinuating that the 944 is a dying breed. Far from it. These cars are an 80s icon. What these prognosticators fail to understand is that as cars age, a different type of buyer emerges.

Guys like me that lusted over these beauties in our teenage years are just now beginning to collect cars. We may not turn a wrench but we have the means to pay someone that does. Further, we understand that a 30+ year old German car is going to cost some coin to maintain. Got to pay to play.

The great thing is that a rising tide floats all boats, so at some point the market will make buying the cheap POS 944 worthwhile again. Then, those non running cars will be fixed back up and resold to a new type of buyer once more.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:21 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to respectfully disagree and here is why: parts are much cheaper than they ever have been and are now quite reasonable. The cars are appreciating as we speak so even though it is harder to find "cheap" 944's they are selling for more. I have personally been flipping 944's for the past 8 years and have been able to make enough money to put a down payment on a house! I currently have 8 944's and have had a total of 27 of them.
The trick is you must do all your own work and cannot count your labor only the money that you put out to buy and the parts you install. Always keep your emotions out of the equation when buy a car and only buy the car for what you can see. in other words if the car is not running and you cannot test drive then you must assume the worst that the motor and transmission are no good. I would buy an not running 944 with Fuchs on it for 500 and sell the wheels that afternoon for 750. then fix the problems wit the car and put whatever other wheels I had around like phone dials or cookie cutters and drive the car for six months or less and then sell the car for $2000! I did this at least 4 or five times in a row. It is much harder to find these deals but it is still possible. I just bought an 85.5 with Fuchs for $1200 and I will keep the wheels and resell the car for $1500 after I fix a few things. even if I just get back the 1200 I still have the wheels and I can sell those for 800 to 1000.
No that I have typed more in a forum post than I ever have I say heck ya buy a used 944! Feel free to ask me for any advice when doing so and I will be happy to guide you in the right direction.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:14 PM
Coloradoguy
Advanced

My advice is to buy a time machine. Go back to 1995 and buy a cheap used 911.

Seriously, I bought my 86 for $6800 with 147000 miles and those much cheaper than that -- say, around the $4000 to $5000 range -- didn't appear to be in that great a shape.

Of course, I wasn't looking for a project to flip at a profit, and I have to imagine that the market for these cars is quite fanatic but unfortunately small.

Last edited by Coloradoguy; 02-03-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:13 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL,
I wish I had a crystal ball back then... I had a few 911's and had to liquidate due to loosing my shop space. A year after that I heard a 66 sunroof 911 I had sold for 60K unrestored! I sold it for 2500 bucks
Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I am Considering Buying a 944

Originally Posted by odurandina

You can spend a lot of effort and money to make the math work. It doesn't......
Hi I just came across your thread.
My response: I would appreciate looking at your spreadsheet, the numbers.
My timing was good to jump on a 993 about 6 years ago.
This time was after bmw (To Me Means:Big Money Waster) ownership.
BMW is a Lead Weight like a rock skimming across a pond and sudden;y Bloop!!
Down Under for good.
In the early days I was extremely frustrated with the 993.
I love driving her.
I knew when I bought it that I could do a bit of wrenching.
I had never actually worked on a car before though :>)
Built a Motorcycle just prior. Frame Off Resto.
I am or was a suit guy.
Looking back, time and money well spent.
Thank You Rennlist. !!
Folks here are the best!!
I would love to compare notes. I kept a running tally on the 993
TJ

Last edited by TJ993; 01-29-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: pic
Old 01-29-2018, 07:19 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Considering a 944

Originally Posted by jeffro951
LOL,
I wish I had a crystal ball back then... I had a few 911's and had to liquidate due to loosing my shop space. A year after that I heard a 66 sunroof 911 I had sold for 60K unrestored! I sold it for 2500 bucks
What goes around, Comes Around
Ffrom what I read here, I would say:You are back!
Old 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Coloradoguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeffro951
LOL,

Insert head smashing into brick wall emoji here.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an 80's model 944