944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

HCV problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:49 AM
Neun44
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HCV problem

Hi There, I am new here from Cape Town, South Africa. My ride is a 1988, 944S, RHD
Recently my heater stays on (bit of a bummer in Africa). The heat control valve seems to be operating correctly (so I think). With the engine running, the vacuum pulls the lever up and closes the valve. However it still blows hot air inside. I tried to look for the little control arm in the left side foot well, as I've been told that the guide plastic clip could have failed. But I can only find the control arm for the sliders (up and down heat, I have an oval dash). Could the valve be faulty? i.e. showing closed from the outside, but actually staying open? Thanks in advance for any help, really appreciate it !
Old 12-27-2017, 02:03 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

do a google search for "Porsche white clip heat" and you will find multiple articles with pictures - the symptom you describe sounds very much like that clip. something you can do that will help is to disconnect the linkage on the heater control valve (sits behind the engine, centered) and then manually close the valve - that will reduce the water flow though the heater core and you won't roast as quickly
Old 12-27-2017, 07:38 AM
Neun44
3rd Gear

Thank you, William. I will try to disconnect the linkage. My problem is that i can't find the control arm for the heat control under the dash ... so I can't check on the clip. I can only locate the arm and the clip for the up & down airflow regulator.

I will continue to search. :-)
Old 12-28-2017, 06:34 PM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that PORSCHE changed to heater valve assembly on a RHD car. So, Their would be no linkage on the left in a RHD car.

Please look at the opposite side next to where your ankle would be if sitting in a LHD car. Left seat near right leg..
Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 AM
Neun44
3rd Gear

Thanks Martinirossi,

I am looking in the left foot well on the side of my right leg. I can only find the assembly for flow direction (up or down sliders), but not the actual heat control..... I should be there somewhere, I know.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:49 PM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Are you removing the door from the air-box to expose the linkage?

Quick Reply: HCV problem