944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Wheel selection question. Phone Dial v. Turbo Twist

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 06:34 PM
twarren
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel selection question. Phone Dial v. Turbo Twist

I am restoring a Guards Red 1988 944S and trying to decide which wheels I should choose. I have both 15" phone dials and 17" Turbo Twists. I think the "Twists" look better but the Phone Dials are period correct. Will the Phone Dials help with the future re-sale value? I could probably sell the "Twists" and make a nice profit over the Phone Dials which would help defray the restoration. Your informed feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-24-2017, 03:17 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the first answer is what do you want to look at on your car. resale won't matter if you aren't happy while you own it. also, I believe there will be more factors that will contribute to re-sale value that aren't easily changeable like wheels being period correct or not.
my $.02
Old 11-25-2017, 11:06 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

by using the words "restoration", "period correct" and "future re-sale value" your mindset indicates the phone dials are what you want.

sell the twists.

twists could be so cool, but the fact they "spin" opposite directions on the other side of the car drives me nuts and precludes me from ever buying them, lol
Old 11-25-2017, 06:57 PM
twarren
5th Gear

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 11-27-2017, 01:35 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
by using the words "restoration", "period correct" and "future re-sale value" your mindset indicates the phone dials are what you want.

sell the twists.

twists could be so cool, but the fact they "spin" opposite directions on the other side of the car drives me nuts and precludes me from ever buying them, lol
Agree with both points above. Even chuckled in agreement at the second one.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I owned that S, I would sell both sets of wheels and buy either one of the next two choices.

The 'S' was a higher performance sports car marketed over the N/A 944, but many if not most seemed to come with 16 inch Forged Alloy FUCHS wheels with the seven spokes and slots as seen more commonly on the 928 S. Staggered in 7 and 8 inch widths and often referred to as trash can or sewer lids, flat Fuchs, or pie plates. I have these on several of my 944s and really love how they show off the lines of the car. For many tho, they are an acquired taste. You will never find a stronger wheel on any Porsche made. A platinum anodized rim in a smaller wheel width was also made for the 931 and 924S right before the 944 was intro'd. These are also rarely seen today; the cars kind of finding their way into small circles of avid owners.

The other wheel, if going with Phone Dials as an option, is the staggered 16 inch cast alloy Phone Dial rim which carries a greater look and dynamic than the 15 inch by 7 fitment. I am not much of a phone dial guy but I really love the way these 16 inch rims look on a 944 or 951. Also seen in the much more rare Magnesium version it's a stunning beauty, but the wheels are cast and very brittle. Also, VERY rare as they came on CUP cars but could be also ordered over the counter for any fitment on any second series car. They got raced until they cracked and broke. They are also very expensive..... the last set I saw a number of years ago was needing a repaint and restoration ( chips ) and the 'ask' was 3500. Not for the faint of heart.

Just a few suggestions and my 2 cents. Best wishes in your pursuits
Old 11-29-2017, 11:14 PM
twarren
5th Gear

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Wheel selection question. Phone Dial v. Turbo Twist