944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 s2 wont turn over help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Johnmac
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 s2 wont turn over help!!!

Hi Guys help needed, I have a 1990 944 S2 thats been parked up for about 7 years. Im trying to get it back on the road. So far when trying to turn the car over theres absolutely nothing all you hear is a relay clicking and nothing starter doesnt even try turn over i have lights on the dash. I have got the starter recondition as it was seized. Few questions i have how do you know if the immobilizer key is working? i have the key that you stick in near the gear stick, i have also followed clarks-garage for bypassing the alarm and also the DME relay trying to just get the car to turn over. I have turned the engine over by hand and its not seized i have also connected the battery straight to the starter and it turns the engine over. I have no idea where to go next with it. any help i would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

First, verify that you are actually getting power to solenoid (small wire on starter).

Transmission in neutral, parking brake set, test light ground on starter mount bolt, probe solenoid wire or terminal while someone presses clutch pedal and turns key to crank/start.

T
Old 04-21-2017, 12:40 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You can not use the procedure on Clark's Garage to disable the factory alarm for an S2 adn some other late 944's; the pinouts and wiring does not match, and you may damage some wiring.

I will check back later with a link to the correct method.

The alarm and DME will not keep the starter from cranking over the engine so you have some basic electrical troubleshooting to do. Follow 951and944S's suggestions.

Also, check and clean the lugs for the additional wires at the battery that attach to the battery post clamps.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Johnmac
4th Gear

Cheers for the reply guys new to all this.
I will check for power at starter next time i go at the car.
Would the immobilizer stop the starter from turning over on this car? I have a feeling there is an issue with the immobilizer.
Paul the alarm was bypassed by the previous owner aswell, the alarm module isnt there anymore i did try and change the wiring to match clarks because what the previous owner had it different and this must be why. if you could send me on the correct way of bypassing the alarm i would be grateful.

If i have no power at the starter where would be the first place to look for a problem?

Thanks again for your helps guys
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

"If i have no power at the starter where would be the first place to look for a problem? "

Battery, battery terminals & posts, all wires attached to battery terminals, lugs and wire terminals, wire & cables. Essentially every piece of hardware between the battery and the starter.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:48 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Follow this for 1989 alarm bypass.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...989-951-a.html
Old 04-23-2017, 02:49 AM
jvillanueva944
Intermediate

Given how long it's been sitting, I suspect some corrosion on the starter contact points. Take your time with some coarse grit sandpaper and remove the corrosion from the small bolts/nuts/washers on the ground and power source wires @ the starter...
Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Pull the plugs and try to turn the engine over with a breaker bar..If it's been sitting that long without turning over, the oil on the mains and rods has probably drained off and the crank will have extra drag. Hit the bores with some WD 40 or Marvel mystery oil.Make sure that it turns over freely with the breaker bar. It might be stuck. If the starter checked out fine before being reinstalled, I doubt that it's the solenoid on the starter.If you have doubts about this, take it down to an AutoZone store and have them put it on the test bench for a free spin test. Are the battery cables corroded? What is the condition of the battery? sounds like the charge might be low..AZ can test this for you also..The spin test and battery test are free. Just a couple of "quickies" here to try to help..Hope that you get it back on the road soon w/o major work.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry..just reread the first thread better.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Johnmac
4th Gear

Hi guys, Sorry for not getting back been crazy busy at work. Im going to try if i get time this weekend to test power at the starter and go from there. Looks like im going be busy at work for the next while but will update on my progress on my project. Thanks so much for all your advice guys. After checking power at starter i will try take out the immobilizer and check for replacement ignition switch.
If ignition works on the first turn would that mean the ignition switch is okay? or could it be still broken but work on the first turn.
Thanks again so much for your advice and tips
Old 11-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Johnmac
4th Gear

Hi Guys , Just wanted to close out this forum with a result. Brought it to an electrical guy and it was the Alarm/ Immobiliser that was causing the car not to start that was all removed and car starts now with no problems.
Thanks for all your help guys

Quick Reply: 944 s2 wont turn over help!!!