944 1987 2,5l No air condition - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

944 1987 2,5l No air condition

Old 11-15-2017, 04:52 PM
antonisp
New User

Default 944 1987 2,5l No air condition

About to buy her, but my only concern its that it doesn’t have an a/c installed. During summer a/c is a must and hence it prevents me from concluding the purchase.

I have been told that an a/c unit cannot be installed. Would that hold true? The car is righthand originally from UK.

Thanking you in advance,
Antonis
Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 AM
931guru
User

While AC could be installed to a non-AC car, the cost would probably be more than the cost of the car.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

agreed if the car was not originally equipped with AC it would be prohibitively laborious (yours or your hired mechanic) to retrofit it to the car.

if the car originally came with AC but it is not functional it is fairly simple to repair/replace the existing parts to make it work again.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM
antonisp
New User

So two out of two replies its that an ac can be installed in a 944 which did not had an ac preinstalled, with a certainty of additional high cost.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:45 PM
PaulD_944S2
User

Look, anybody can do anything with a car.
What the point is that if you decide to add AC, then be prepared for lots & lots & lots of work.

I guess for those of us who have AC, we see it adding AC to a 944 as an insurmountable task. But from your point of view, it depends on how desperate your are.

Just remember that it will add very little, if any value to your car, which is why the question you ask suggests to buy a different car that has AC.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 PM
931guru
User

Given enough time, labor and money, you could put a man on the moon. The usa did it a couple of time, then figured out that the cost outweighed the benefits.

You could approach AC in your car the same way.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:23 AM
joejoe
Addict
Rennlist Member

You might look into vintage air system. They make retrofit for non a/c cars. You will need receiver dryer , condenser, plumbing (to inside car) evaporator, idle enhancement(when in operation) The car may have some if not all vacumm actuators. If all pieces can be found then you need to have it installed. I have all equipment for r-12. Even so I would not start a project like this.... just too many problems unknown. I suggest find a car with it already. (my 2 pennies)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 944 1987 2,5l No air condition

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: