944 with very high mileage: Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Hitmybutt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 with very high mileage: Buying advice

The first owner gave the car a 951? turbo look

This is not the stock steering wheel I suppose?

Hey everyone!

So I found this well second hand 1982 Porsche 944 with a body in supreme condition. There is no rust on the car, it has it's original paint and the leather interior is in great condition (small crack in seat, but very smooth dash).

Bit of backstory:
The guy selling the car has had it for 20 years now, and is an older guy that only drove the car in the weekends and stored it inside (which is why the body is in such good condition I think). The only problem with the car is that the engine has no oil pressure, and he is saying that it has to be rebuilt. The car has run 365 000 km on the clock (226 800 miles) which leads me to believe that It's just normal that the engine stopped working because it's old. I know a guy that rebuilds classic car engines and has a lot of experience with mercedes and porsche (older 911 models), so rebuilding the engine won't be much of a problem. It's the suspension that I'm worried about.

My questions are:
Is this a car that is not worth saving?
If the engine has to be rebuilt, should the gearbox and diff be done too?
If I go to check out the car, how should I test the suspension and what do I look for on this model of Porsche?
Do you guys have any idea about the costs? My mechanic estimates that a rebuild will cost me anything around 3000 euro's (3500 dollar)
Are there any other things that come to mind what I should watch out for?

I'm terribly sorry if this is just another stupid thread about a noob trying to buy a car, but my mechanic is quite busy, so taking him with me is not an option.

Pictures of the car:

Last edited by Hitmybutt; 11-09-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Forgot pictures
Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

That's a 944 you have to fall in love with to be worth owning it.

While it is very clean, and overall in good condition, you will probably spend more on the car than is worth in the real market.

The oil issue may be simple, but so much depends on diagnosis, that it's very hard to say what the costs will be.

If you are comfortable with your worst case of spending 3-3500 euros, then proceed, with the understanding that you will most likely be financially upside down, like most of the rest of us!

As far as inspecting the car, find someone close to you that has a 944 and have them go with you to evaluate it.

Quick Reply: 944 with very high mileage: Buying advice