944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Need advice on buying a 1987 Porsche 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:45 PM
ddemento
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on buying a 1987 Porsche 944

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, read thru many posts, but i still need your help/advice. Here is the situation: I'm in the market for a older Porsche (have been for quite a while) and I just love the 944. Used 944's are pretty hard to come by here in Quebec (Canada), so I have not had much of a chance to compare between them. Most of them are also complete wrecks. I am NOT 'mechanically inclined' and know only basics in respect to car mechanics. Came across what seems to be a good one for sale and test drove it just today. Here is a brief rundown on the car:
-current odometer 149500km
-asking $7900CAD, negotiable
-carproof dates back only to 2001
-no accidents except fender bender in 2014, rear fender minor damage $800 repair
-apparently changed ownership 3 times
-seller received car from his dad (so been in the family since 2009) 148000km
-major maintenance done in 2009. $13400 including timing belt, seals, brakes, suspension, clutch, radiator, steering rack, rubber door/window seals, etc.
-last oil change was 3 years ago: driven about 1000 km since
-stored indoors during winter (heated) and mostly outdoors during summer
-some mods including custom bumper, seats, stearing wheel, mags

IMO, here are the pros and cons:
Pros
-most major maintenance was done 'fairly recently' 2009
-car esthetically seems to be in great condition and is very clean inside and out. Engine bay too.
-although I'm not crazy about it, the minor mods seems to work out ok with the overall look
-also still has the original parts: bumper, steering
-started great and runs great for a 30 year old car. Steering felt a little hard
-during test drive, I managed to shift as high as 3rd gear with no sign of problems.
Cons
-Been 8+ years since the timing belt and other maintenance and with questionable proper storage, left wondering if these will need to be redone even tho its only 1000km
-3 year old oil change and what that entails
-idles very rough at 1000-1100 rpm. You can feel and see the vibration right into the stick shift (don't know if its a sign of a problem). Stick also felt 'loose'.
-bottom of oil pan has what seems to be residual oil filth
-needs 4 new tires due to dry rot
-some of the clear coat is starting to peel off on the moldings

So as you can see, it was great but some things are bothering me. Just wondering what you guys are thinking and would it be wise to buy this car or just wait for the next one. Here are some pics.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:38 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks decent. I would do the belts & rollers, water pumps and oil change for sure. Oil change is a no brainer. These job are not difficult unless you have a shop do the work, then $$$$. Considering these are the LEAST that need to be done, I would offer $4000 CAD. I know that is a low ball offer, but belts rollers and water pump are 'need to do' items and should be done at regular intervals. Good luck

Last edited by RM512; 10-30-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying a 1987 Porsche 944