944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

S2 won't start - how it was fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:31 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S2 won't start - how it was fixed

So my 1990 s2 wouldn't start. There are tons of threads on 944s that won't start but not much on s2 or 16v 944 models. So I thought I would share my ordeal.

My s2 would crank but engine won't turn over. After getting a jump start, it still won't turn over.

My fuel pump fuse was fine and I have gas in the tank. I started looking into ignition next. Replaced coil and plugs. Still no luck.

I thought it might be the starter. Jacked the car up as starter was under the car behind the transmission. Used a hammer to tap the starter and solenoid. Still no start. Was getting ready to take the starter out to test it with a spare battery and jumping cable.

I looked for the famous reset and speed sensors. My s2 and other 16v models, there is only one sensor. It is located under the hood in the middle of the car just ahead of the firewall. I thought it was under the car based on pics of the sensor from clark's 944 garage. This was easy to check and i just cleaned the sensors. Still no start.

Then I remember that I picked up a new distributor cap too. Installed that which was easy and car finally started. My old cap looks like new with about 113k miles (looks like it was original). I am glad I bought it just in case I needed it.

Btw:
During this process, I opened and resealed the valve cover as oil was leaking into my plug tubes. I also found out one of my plugs where stripped by the last person changing it and a sleeve was used on the plug to thread the plug in. Unfortunately, the sleeve came out with the plug and it took me another day to find this out and get a new sleeve. When I reinstalled the plug with sleeve, I used antiseize on the plug and locktite on the sleeve so hopefully the sleeve won't come out again. Learned a new trick this time!
Old 10-22-2017, 07:19 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an informative read. Thanks for sharing.

My S2 has been a bit sluggish to start lately too so this will give me some areas to look into.

Quick Reply: S2 won't start - how it was fixed