944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

83 Porsche 944 knock!?!?! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Kyle Filyaw
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 83 Porsche 944 knock!?!?! HELP

hey guys so i just bought this 1983 porsche 944 from a guy for a cheap $500 it had very milky oil but other than that no problems. so i knew the oil had to be due to a bad head gasket, so i got a new head gasket and sent the head off to be machined after all that i put it back on and thought it would be all good to go (wrong). not only was there still milky oil after i put new oil and filter in but now it has a knock and i have no idea what is going on idk if its rod bearings, bent valves, or what else. and why after doing all that am i getting water in the oil still???? im so confused. now on a side note the oil filter housing which i know on the 944 has an oil cooler inside, has a big crack in it could that be why water is getting in the oil or is that irrelevant. can anyone help me?

Old 09-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Mr Exotherm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early 944s are notorious for oil coolers leaking coolant into the oil. More that likely that was your problem, not the head. Guessing you now have a rod bearing failure which is not too uncommon. You've done the head now you may have to rebuild the rest of the engine.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 PM
willrobinson
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As above
That's really unfortunate. If your not fairly certain it's a bottom end knock or is not just caused by excessive coolant in the oil it may be worth changing the cooler and oil and trying to see if it goes away. Just in case you end up with another unnecessary job on your hands.
I have a cooler and housing in good condition, but in Australia, but get in touch if they are hard to locate or expensive locally.
Good luck
Old 09-28-2017, 09:11 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the pan and inspect the bearings and rod journals and if the journals are okay then replace the bearings along with replacing the oil cooler.

Quick Reply: 83 Porsche 944 knock!?!?! HELP