944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Debating buying a 1990 944S2

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:57 PM
camelman
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Debating buying a 1990 944S2

Hi all, I'm new here. I don't have a Porsche yet, but I'm really interested in getting one. I rather luckily found a 1990 Porsche 944S2 with 167K miles on it for $6000. It's in fantastic shape with original and nice leather seats, no cracks on the dash, clean interior, and no major issues with the body. It's a white exterior with black interior, and black powder coated Porsche Cup wheels. What's holding me back is the following:

1) I can't determine how old the cam chain is and if I need to replace it
2) I can't determine if the cam gears are worn out by the original chain
3) I definitely want to replace the cam chain tensioner ($500)
4) The camshaft position sensor needs to be replaced since it is broken (still functions)
5) The engine needs a general tune up
6) The shocks are possibly original
7) The tires are about five years old and not as sticky as I'd like them to be

The good is that the car is in fantastic shape and drives VERY well. Also, the cam belt was replaced within the last two years (5000 miles) and looks new.

I've attached two pics of the chain and tensioner, and one of the pickup, and would appreciate thoughts on whether or not you think this is a good purchase.

Thanks,
Camelman
Attached Images    
Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Cam chain tensioner appears OK, but you could replace the pads for about $125 to cover any future problems.

The camshaft Hall sensor definitely has connector issues. You could:
1. Buy a new sensor (can't tell from picture if damaged);
2. Buy the connectors and replace broken ones;
3. Install different connector(s) (like GM Weatherpak) and keep using the Hall sensor and existing harness instead of buying new stuff.

The camshaft gears look OK from what can be seen in your pictures. You would need to rotate the crankshaft to expose all of the teeth to make sure none are broken, chipped, or worn.

Replacing the cam chain is not a simple effort because you have to remove the timing belt and lift the camshafts to replace the chain. The chain is a one piece assembly, no master links. If you decide to replace the chain, read up and study the process so you properly support the camshafts and don't break one, it is a little involved but well within a DIY's ability.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:27 PM
camelman
Racer

Paul,

Thanks for your thoughts! I have some spare weatherpak connectors laying around, so I might just repair the sensor myself.

I think the camshaft gears look good too, so I'm just going to leave them in there. I'll "feel" the cam chain too, and make a decision on replacing it when I get my hands on it. The pics above were provided by the seller, so I haven't put my hands on the engine yet.

Well, I think I'm going to buy it! The seller is throwing in some new gas springs for the rear hatch, new swaybar bushings, new fog light covers, new headlights, and a fresh spray on the front valance (he has a semi-professional painting booth in his garage). I really feel like I'm getting a good deal on this, although only time will tell.

I'm open to other input too if anyone else wants to chime in.

Thanks,
Camelman
Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

You can't go wrong with any S2 for $6k.

Everything you mentioned can be fixed over a weekend and is all pretty easy to do.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:58 PM
camelman
Racer

Default Well, I bought it!

I really need to get better pics for you guys, but here's one to start with. More coming once I get to my new garage. I'm storing it at the seller's house for right now, at least until we finish painting a replacement front bumper cover. The current one looks like it got bumped at some point and the paint chipped off the front right corner. The interior is in perfect condition though with no cracks in the leather or dash.

Also, the centers for the wheels are in the car. I just need to clean away some of the powder coat that got into the center of the rim before I can attach them. The sellers are incredibly helpful, and I'm going to help them with a 1976 CB400f motorcycle rebuild too, so this is working out great!

Camelman
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2017, 01:04 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your purchase!

I have to do some similar maintenance to you on my S2 (cam chain, tensioner, belts etc). You should post up a build log so we can follow progress.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:27 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by camelman
I really need to get better pics for you guys, but here's one to start with. More coming once I get to my new garage. I'm storing it at the seller's house for right now, at least until we finish painting a replacement front bumper cover. The current one looks like it got bumped at some point and the paint chipped off the front right corner. The interior is in perfect condition though with no cracks in the leather or dash.

Also, the centers for the wheels are in the car. I just need to clean away some of the powder coat that got into the center of the rim before I can attach them. The sellers are incredibly helpful, and I'm going to help them with a 1976 CB400f motorcycle rebuild too, so this is working out great!

Camelman
Welcome to the 16V Club. We have more holes in our head than the other guys. Nice buy on the S2, you will like
it

Funny you mention a 400F, I just gave a 400F tank to my ENT Doctor. He runs a couple in vintage racing. They were sweet little bikes but a Yamaha RD350 would eat one alive I used a 400F tank on a CB750 Café Racer I built back in the 70's. Lots of chromed and wrinkle black engine showed on either side of that skinner tank I bought a used RD350 to ride while waiting for machine work and chrome plating. It was a wheel standing little screamer.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

wasn't the rd a two stroke triple?

I had a bobbed 72 cb750 with a JC Whitney 4 into 1 and a 58 tooth rear sprocket. I only went through one corner without the baffle.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:19 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
wasn't the rd a two stroke triple?

I had a bobbed 72 cb750 with a JC Whitney 4 into 1 and a 58 tooth rear sprocket. I only went through one corner without the baffle.
The RD was a 2 stroke twin. Kawasaki made the 2 stroke triples. Buddy had a 750 triple, very quick in a straight line but poor handling in the turns. I ran a 4 into 1 also, makes you wonder how many 4 into 4 pipe muffler setups went in the trash? Now they are like gold for restorers.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:17 AM
camelman
Racer

Default Repaint thr fron bumper or not?

The previous owners have offered to repaint the front bumper of the 944s2 for free since the current bumper is missing some paint. I’m not sure if I want to do it. Thoughts? They are pretty skilled painters, but it’s only original once... You can see the missing paint on the front right. They’d repaint with a sealer, white base coat, and a clear.

Those 2 stroke motos definitely had more power than a stock 400f. However, with a 466 kit and bored carbs, the cb466f is a screamer! It’ll power wheelie in first, and handles great. Those 2-smokers sound so cool though.

Quick Reply: Debating buying a 1990 944S2