944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Old Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:53 AM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Fuel

Got an 87 944 Automatic. Has sat for too long.
What's the best way to get the fuel out? Is dropping the tank necessary? Should I disconnect fuel rail and let the pump push it all out towards the front? Any instructional pages for this? I have no idea how to work on Porsche but am ready to dive in. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Mr Exotherm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the fuel varnished or just old enough to run poorly? On my car, that I recently revived after 15 years off the road, I siphoned as much fuel as I could out of the tank then filled the tank with premium fuel. I also disconnected the fuel line in the engine compartment routed the supply line into a small fuel container and cranked the engine to clear the old fuel out of the lines. It goes without saying...but I will say it, be very careful with any disconnected fuel line in the engine compartment. A new fuel filter is also highly recommended. The old fuel, which did not smell of varnish, was dumped into my wifes truck which already had over half a tank of fuel in it. Her truck ran fine with the old fuel diluted by the fresh fuel in the tank.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

drain what you can, then close it up, add some fresh gas via the filler, to try and dissolve any varnish/crap left in the tank, then drain that too.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheChampion
What's the best way to get the fuel out? Is dropping the tank necessary?
Drop the tank...no. Disconnect the hose from the tank to the pump.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

How long did it sit?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:24 PM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

How long it sat is unknown, but the original owner said he checked the fuel and it's really dark colored and like varnish...

If I drain the the tank and put new fuel in, can I then keep turning the key in ignition forward (not quite to start position) to engage the fuel pump and keep doing that over and over until it cycles the fuel through the lines and returns back to tank? Do these cars work that way?

Last edited by PorscheChampion; 09-17-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheChampion
How long it sat is unknown, but the original owner said he checked the fuel and it's really dark colored and like varnish...

If I drain the the tank and put new fuel in, can I then keep turning the key in ignition forward (not quite to start position) to engage the fuel pump and keep doing that over and over until it cycles the fuel through the lines and returns back to tank? Do these cars work that way?
It sounds like it sat for many years. When you disconnect the line between the tank and the inlet to the fuel pump, the gas will drain from the tank. You then replace the fuel filter. When you fill the tank back up, you can then reconnect everything but disconnect the fuel line prior to the injector rails, and use a bucket to drain that line out as well. After reconnecting everything, you should be good. However, you must also drain the oil and filter and put in new oil. If you can, try to fill as much new oil in the filter as you can.

Once that's done, you probably want to flush the brake fluid and replace with new fluid. Check tire condition and if good, make sure the pressures are correct.

From there, you can try to start the engine, paying close attention to any fuel leaks and keep a close watch on oil pressure. I would let the engine run for 10 seconds before shutting it down to look for leaks. Then another minute. You want to make sure there plenty of Coolant in the system.

From there, you want to drive the car and get it up to operating temperature for a good 30-40 mins total, keeping an eye on gauges. If all is good, you can dump a full bottle of Techron or equivalent (bg44k) fuel treatment and then make sure to excercise the engine well. Full RPM redline runs in 2nd or 3rd gear on an empty highway, maybe 4-5 of them, should help blow some carbon and debris out of the engine, but remeber to only do this after the engine has been fully up to temperature 10-15 mins of driving).
Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Mr Exotherm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also highly recommend changing the timing and balance belts and rollers before starting the car. While you are in there you should change the water pump too. You don't want a timing belt failure or it will cost you large sums of money to correct bent or broken valves, pistons, connecting rods, etc.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:25 AM
PorscheChampion
Track Day

Thank you all for help. Got it running its doing great.

Quick Reply: Old Fuel