944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Porsche 944 2.7 Clutch Bellhousing will not fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 PM
steeley-90
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Porsche 944 2.7 Clutch Bellhousing will not fit

So I've gone through the process of replacing the clutch on my Porsche 944 2.7l.

All going seemingly well, bar a few nasty bolts.
However, today I tried to fit the clutch bellhousing back on, and for the life of me I cannot slide it back over.
It seems to wobble back and forth and not fit properly. I've tried forcing the screws through, to no avail.
It's a new Bellhousing as the other one looked worse for wear even after heavy degreasing. Before you jump to conclusions they are the same model number!

I felt where it was getting stuck and noticed it was getting hooked up on the flywheel bolts that stick out. Having been told that these must face down during replacement, I simply could not fit the bellhousing over these bolts.

Is it worth sanding these bolts down do you think to fit the bellhousing?
Am I missing something here?
I have removed the speed and reference sensors, do I also need to remove the bracket they plug into which is located near the bellhousing?

I'm at wits end as it's quite an annoying lump to keep trying to fit!

Thanks,

Luke
Old 09-05-2017, 01:08 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by steeley-90
So I've gone through the process of replacing the clutch on my Porsche 944 2.7l.

All going seemingly well, bar a few nasty bolts.
However, today I tried to fit the clutch bellhousing back on, and for the life of me I cannot slide it back over.
It seems to wobble back and forth and not fit properly. I've tried forcing the screws through, to no avail.
It's a new Bellhousing as the other one looked worse for wear even after heavy degreasing. Before you jump to conclusions they are the same model number!

I felt where it was getting stuck and noticed it was getting hooked up on the flywheel bolts that stick out. Having been told that these must face down during replacement, I simply could not fit the bellhousing over these bolts.

Is it worth sanding these bolts down do you think to fit the bellhousing?
Am I missing something here?
I have removed the speed and reference sensors, do I also need to remove the bracket they plug into which is located near the bellhousing?

I'm at wits end as it's quite an annoying lump to keep trying to fit!

Thanks,

Luke
Flywheel bolts sticking out....?

Do you mean the raised set screws...?

Being it's a different housing, are you sure that this housing doesn't have a dowel stuck in a location where removal of your first housing left one in the engine...?

T
Old 09-05-2017, 01:12 PM
steeley-90
6th Gear

I do indeed. They look like grub screws is what I meant. Apologies for confusion.

I'll have to check about dowels left in. I'm back tomorrow morning so will have a look.

Are you aware of if I need to remove the reference sensor block that is at the top of the bellhousing? I read somewhere that it needs to be realighned?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:37 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by steeley-90
I do indeed. They look like grub screws is what I meant. Apologies for confusion.

I'll have to check about dowels left in. I'm back tomorrow morning so will have a look.

Are you aware of if I need to remove the reference sensor block that is at the top of the bellhousing? I read somewhere that it needs to be realighned?
From memory, I think you can leave the bracket that houses the sensor but for sure, at least the sensors have to come out.
Somewhere along the line, there were sleeves added between the sensor and the sensor bracket bores to better insulate the windings against RF leakage so if yours has these sleeves, you would have had to remove them as well if they didn't already stay on the sensors when removed.

It's not difficult to regap them if you want to take the whole adjustable bracket off though.....and though it'll be a long time before you service the clutch again, you can notch the bell housing with a cutting blade tool now where you won't even have to remove the sensors themselves next time.

T
Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Any pictures of the problem?

And did you remove the pin for the releasebearing ?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:09 AM
steeley-90
6th Gear

About to head up there in a couple of hours. Just waiting for bloody deliveries!

By clutch release bearing pin, do you mean the clutch fork pin or the clutch alignment tool? Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.
I will video the problem later.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Is this pin removed from the new bellhouse?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:33 AM
steeley-90
6th Gear

It is indeed. I'm thinking I'll whip off the sensor bracket later and see how that goes. Video of me cursing incoming if that's not the fix. Thanks everyone so far!
Old 09-07-2017, 02:19 PM
steeley-90
6th Gear

Sorry for the late reply. Good news as I managed to fit it on today. It was the sensor bracket that was in the way. Even though all the manuals I read and all the Videos I watched said I didn't need to remove it, it turns out for my model, the 2.7, it does indeed need to be removed.

Thanks everyone for your help! My baby will be back on the road for the weekend!

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 2.7 Clutch Bellhousing will not fit