1985 944 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM
jdweisbeck
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 944 questions

Hello everyone!

I'm new here so I figure I'll introduce myself, and the car. My name is Jake, I'm 22, live in Spokane, WA and I'm helping my dads friend fix up and sell his 944. I am very familiar with a forum environment so if this is the wrong place please point me in the right direction.

The specific vehicle is 1985 Porsche 944 2.5l SOHC 5spd with only 53,xxx original miles. I'm not sure of Porsche color names, but it is a purple-maroon exterior color and a tan interior. It runs and drives like a dream, just need to get a worth while battery (which is today's mission).

I've ran into a few problems that Google cant help, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

1. He had it parked at one of his vacant houses that developed some vandalism before I got a hold of it. So the front badge was stolen off the car, online I can only find them for $130. I understand I'm paying for a brand new Porsche part, but dang! Also going to go to my local wrecking yard and see if by chance there is one there. Other than that any advice?

2. Piggy backing off the first, the hooligans tried to shove a screw driver through the hatch lock cylinder and destroyed it, the key will go in but will not turn. I figure my best option is to call a locksmith and asses the damage, but if I need a new one, do you guys have any suggestions?

3. The shift bezel is made out of some sort of carpet with a backing plate? Anyway that along with the shift boot are totally destroyed. Again, going to the yard, but if no luck anywhere do you suggest looking online? I cant even find one similar to what I see in the car.

4. The front bumper is further in one side than it is the other. I went to the local Euro Shop and the owner there said the bumpers are on hydraulics and I either need to push in one side or pull out the other. What is the safest/easiest way to do this without harming the vehicle?

5. The antenna came broken, but the previous owner included a brand new one for us, do i need to completely take off the fender to do this? Haven't looked to far into it just yet.

6. The flip-up lights will come right up, but have a problem descending completely. They will leave probably about a half-inch into to an inch until you give them a little push. Should I just get a little wd40 in there or?

Thanks for taking time to look over my post. Please if you have any comments or suggestions throw them my way!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:17 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

For parts, I suggest you contact Plyhammersparts.com or Porsche944usedparts.com for replacement items at good prices. They are on the forums here and assist a lot of members.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Follow Paul's advice.

I'd just get a used rear lock cylinder with key.

On the front end, if you pull the front bumper (leave the bumper cover) you will find two oil filled collapsible shocks.

You could either purchase a used one and fit it back as factory or drill a bleed hole in the other one and compress it.

I usually put a tack weld where one tube telescopes into the other.

IMO, the bumper looks better flushed back.

You will lose <10mph crash bump protection though.

T
Old 08-29-2017, 11:13 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Tacoma and have most if not all the parts you need. if you can get the hatch open with the button you can remove the lock cylinder and have it re-keyed. I can re-key if for you as well. I might have a spare around somewhere.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:24 AM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Try 944online also. I do not believe there is 'oil ' in the shock, rather it is a compression shock. One time use only. You may be able to pull out, but the actual function of the shock is gone. (it will collapse sooner than designed )

With patience you can re key new lock to your key.

Call ian (944online) for bezel/backing. Also if shifter sloppy loose you probably need a new one. They do wear out.

Anttenea can be replaced by...removing driver side tire, then remove mounting bracket holding old ant. Be careful with antenea wire (it is kind of hard to re route inside car if needed)

I cannot help with lights (mine all work as designed), but pushing into place probably not best solution. Google 944 headlight problem/retract problem. There are sure to be a few.

You state your car is an '85. Is it early or late? Early will have round instruments (yellow faced)
Old 09-02-2017, 11:03 PM
jdweisbeck
3rd Gear

Thank you all for the informative replies! Jeffro951 I would be interested if we could make a deal on a front badge and shifter boot/bezel; the shifter itself is fairly solid. I'm not sure if this forum has a private message area but if it does I'm sure ill get a notification, that would be awesome if you could send me one with some more info!

Also it must be an early model it does have round gauges with yellow numbers.

I haven't gotten a chance to tear into the rear hatch much just yet so that will be for later.

Also thanks for the info on the antenna, doesn't seem too hard, just glad I don't have to remove body panels.

The bumper ill have to look at closer thanks.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:10 PM
jdweisbeck
3rd Gear

This right here the carpet frame and shift boot is the item im looking for mainly. So if anyone sees one please PM me. Thanks!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1985 944 questions