944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

New member! Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Alexb1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member! Need some help!

Hello all, I've been lurking around for a while and finally decided to register.
I have my dream car, 1985.5 944 NA 5 speed. Dream car because I seen it first on sixteen candles and that was my sisters favorite movie *yawn. I also had a 1987 924S for a while but that's a whole other story. Any who always loved the car.
so I purchased it about a year and a half ago and have been going through many different issues. Overheating,air conditioning, axles, timing belt.. blah typical 944 stuff.
my first thing I'm wanting to get done asap is when it is in neutral it revs up quickly and perfectly. But when I'm in gear it vibrates so violently in the cabin that I can't rev above 3.5krpm. I drive it daily, just try to keep it under 80mph, or under 3k rpm.
I know depressing. I'm losing half the fun of the rpms.
Anyways I'm thinking I probably have a bad clutch and it's vibrating but not 100% sure.
any insight would be amazing, and if any members in or around Knoxville, Tn hit me up!
Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If the vibration is not present while revving the motor in neutral, then it is doubtful you have a clutch/disc issue. Regardless, you could always remove the starter and have a look around for debris.

While driving, do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel, shift lever, clutch pedal, or brake pedal?

Without a more detailed description, suggest you look into balance shaft belt timing and then motor mounts. Happy motoring...
Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a clutch issue to me, you most likely have the original rubber center clutch disc and it is deteriorating which is causing the vibration when in gear.

Quick Reply: New member! Need some help!