Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

How to install balance shaft bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 07:22 PM
dreygata
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to install balance shaft bearings?

I'm beginning my engine reassembly and I figured I'd start with my balance shafts. Now, I know balance shafts rarely go bad, but since they came with my kit, I figured why not replace them. The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to remove them.
the two halves of the rear bearing seem to be held in by a pin of some sort, and the front bearing seems press fit.
Any ideas on how to remove these?

Old 08-05-2017, 09:18 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dreygata
I'm beginning my engine reassembly and I figured I'd start with my balance shafts. Now, I know balance shafts rarely go bad, but since they came with my kit, I figured why not replace them. The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to remove them.
the two halves of the rear bearing seem to be held in by a pin of some sort, and the front bearing seems press fit.
Any ideas on how to remove these?
The pin is just a locator. Just put a small blade screwdriver in the side recesses and lever them out.

The fronts, you can drive or press them in and out with an appropriate sized bushing driver. While you might find something around the house that has a proper od, a real bushing driver has the right sized od and a stepped size that fits the id and keeps the bushing/bearing's id from being damaged or collapsing while driven or pressed.

T

Quick Reply: How to install balance shaft bearings?