Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Looking to buy- 1986 or newer black dashboard.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Jeeporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy- 1986 or newer black dashboard.

Hi guys.
I am currently trying to redo my dashboard. It's going slow and not so well. Its harder than the seats were, definitely. If anyone has a full-black dashboard for sale please message me with pics. I would appreciate it. I will pay to have it shipped to New Mexico, just fyi. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 PM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default David Pagan Porsche 944 Dash boards/ dp951

You may also want to think about the option of recovering your dash , i ve done a few and i see some one one here offering the vent trim .

New Defroster Trim for Dash Recovering
I designed a defroster trim piece to make dash recovering easier and resemble the OEM factory look.

This info on here for the trim piece
When recovering a 944 dash, an issue I've always had is finishing the edges surrounding the defroster holes. Cutting left a raw edge that looked bad. Wrapping the leather or vinyl around was difficult and would lift over time from sun and temp changes.
Up to now, I used various aftermarket trim including a 928 piece, but none of them looked enough like the OEM configuration.
The factory used vacuum forming and die cut the holes, a process requiring expensive equipment and tooling which is not practical in small numbers.

This piece fits into the recessed area surrounding the defroster holes, keeps the leather or vinyl in place, covers the perimeter of the holes and is held down by six threaded studs on the underside.
You must drill holes in the dash and the dash must be out of the car for access to the studs on the underside.

Its made from .060 cold rolled steel, has six welded 1/4 20 x 3/4 inch studs, and a flat unfinished gray top surface. You can add any color or finish from simple spray paint to textured powder coat or chrome. The one pictured has been painted black.

Its included on all my 944 dash recovers that I do in my shop.
I will also offer it on my web site as part of a kit that will include the defroster trim piece, the leather or vinyl dash cover, and foam underlayment material.

This piece by itself sells for $139 and is available here

I'm working on a dash that will use this piece today and will post pictures when I'm done.
Attached Images   
Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Where do I get this piece? DP, Did you sew your own dash? I am looking at doing that exact same thing for my race car using Blue Thread (match body color) , I also have to stitch around the roll bars, I made them go through the dash behind the vents. I picked up a piece of Faux Suede from the fabric store.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:29 PM
dp951
Racer

Default David pagan promotion Dash

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Where do I get this piece? DP, Did you sew your own dash? I am looking at doing that exact same thing for my race car using Blue Thread (match body color) , I also have to stitch around the roll bars, I made them go through the dash behind the vents. I picked up a piece of Faux Suede from the fabric store.
Hello the bottom pic is a 1987 dash that i skim coated the top to fix all cracks and give a bonding surface for the fabric , this das wasnt wasnt sewn at all this was the first one it tried to see the out come , you can actually stretch and glue the material down ,
The upper dash 968 was sewn as seen the vent piece ive seen on line under 944 dash vents , youll notice the edge is not as crisp as it could be due to the lack of proper under material .
When u wrap yours make sire youe edges are firm and the material u use is a uv resistant type

Anthoner note
you can skin on a fiberglass cover also and sand smooth out , with ANY FABRIC covering ( basically a shell )
Attached Images   
Old 02-21-2017, 05:13 PM
dp951
Racer

Default David pagan promotion Dash

Anthoner note
you can skin on a fiberglass cover also and sand smooth out , with ANY FABRIC covering ( basically a shell )

Quick Reply: Looking to buy- 1986 or newer black dashboard.