944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Power Steering Rack Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:18 PM
ChrisForrest
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Rack Leak

My 1989 944 S2 started having a slow leak from the power steering rack which wasn't such a big deal, just kept it topped off with ATF. Then, however, it starting just dumping fluid (boots were filling up then draining). I figured a seal went bad, so I got a new seal kit and very carefully rebuilt the rack with new seals. Everything went fine and then about a week later I noticed all the fluid had drained, again from the boots. I checked all the hoses, the reservoir, the pump and everything else I could think of and everything looked great.

I refilled with fluid and without turning the wheel or starting the car, the fluid started draining again from the boots. Seems to still all point to a bad seal, but that's hard to accept because I checked every one of them several times to make sure it was facing the right direction and in the right spot.

Could the rack just be done? Could the shaft have worn so that the seals don't cut it anymore? There are 160k+ miles and the rack had never been taken off or rebuilt before.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:39 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately your stuck pulling it apart again. Take a good look at where the leak is coming from hopfully it will be a bad seal..take a look at there maiting surface for nicks ext
Old 08-22-2015, 04:22 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basic hydraulics. If your piston is scored, your new seals are cut.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Rack Leak