early 85 944 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 02:01 PM
GavinB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post early 85 944 transmission problems

Hi,

I have an early 1985 944 with a seized transmission. Can anyone tell me if the transmissions from the 84 to 89 944s will fit on my car? That is are they interchangeable? I ask because it seems to me an entire transmission replacement might be cheaper than a rebuild.

Thanks for any comments!
URL=http://members.rennlist.com/gavin2f/]Gavin's Porsche Page[/URL]
Old 12-15-2001, 06:09 PM
Paladin..
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the transmissions from any 944 will fit your car. The only thing you have to look out for is the speedometer connection. On pre 86?? cars, the speedometer was driven off of the front wheel. On the later cars, the speedometer was driven off of the transmission. I had to replace my tranny on my 86 non-turbo because i thrashed the ring and pinion gears (weakest part of the 2.5 n/a transmission). The only problem i had was that i had bought a tranny with very low miles from an 84 not knowing the speedometer issues. Not a problem...the casing does have the spot that can be machined to accept the transmission speedometer hook-up. But if your car is pre 86, just find any other trans to bolt in. Keep in mind that the gear ratios and final drives differ between the n/a, s, and turbo. The s transmission has the same final drive but a diferent 5th gear ratio. The turbo trans is a lot stronger, but i'm not sure that the longer final drive is suitable for a normally aspirated car that is unmodified. Your best best is to stick with the normally aspirated car transmissions. Good luck

Quick Reply: early 85 944 transmission problems