detail

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve
Just curious, any breakdown of the steps / products you like to use?
I won't speak for the original poster, but I have a pretty high level of experience in this field.
If you want to pm me, I'll be happy to give you all of the step bye step help that you need.
I'm actually an admin on a detailing board as well. I started as a driveway DIY guy, so I can give you a good rundown on what can and cannot be done in your own garage.

Ofcourse the pics of this car, as well as mine, should give you a pretty good idea that you can do a Hell of a lot on your own!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve
Just curious, any breakdown of the steps / products you like to use?
+1 would like to know how you did it and how long it took?

-BB
Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Porsche Fan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default steps

Thanks for the encouraging words.

DISCLAIMER: I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR HEALTH AND/OR SAFETY.

I've used lots of different products and have settled on Griots Garage products.

I am not affiliated with Griots, just a fan and end user of their products.

They have a beginner pack for newbies, link:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...%26+wax+kit.do

Always proceed in a safe manner, using quality tools with eye/face and ear protection. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY.

Here's my process.....

Results are only as good as the prep; and to ensure nothing contaminates the pad, all dirt/grime has to be removed.

So for a "clean start," with the car on a lift and the wheels removed, power wash the undercarriage, wheels and wheel wells with a high quality heated power washer.

Power washing is tons of fun; and gets the bottom as pretty as the top!

If the car is in fairly clean to start, I'll just lift the car onto jackstands, remove the wheels and detail the wheels, wheel wells and undercarriage.

Tip: 3M Adhesive Remover works well to remove stubborn contaminants such as road tar.

With the wheels completely detailed, waxed and torqued to spec (130 Nm), the car is back on the ground and ready.

Detail Steps:
*wash twice with Griots Car Wash
*clay paint
*polish (if the paint is in great shape, I start with Polish #3 and finish with Polish #4, otherwise start with #1, followed by #2, #3 & finish with #4)
*wax with Griots Best of Show (burnishing in 3-5 coats)

As I go through a lot of microfiber towels, I opt for Costco's yellow MF towels. Griots are better, but pricey.

The results are deeply rewarding. I've found that detailing is a great workout and fun way to enjoy P-cars.

2 cents,
P Fan

Quick Reply: detail