Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Tensioner Q's...

Hey all -

Ok - I'm more of a Turbo knowledgebase, but I'm hoping for more information on the S2 series.

I've heard that one should replace the chain ramps and tensioner on these cars - and on the new to me S2 I have in the garage, the tensioner and pads were replaced about 50k miles ago.

I'm getting a nasty clicking/slapping sound when the car runs, so I need to fix this before I can get her on the road.

My questions:

1 - Should you be able to easily (one palm pressure) be able to compress the installed chain tensioner itself? I've heard that unless you disconnect the oil line it should be near impossible to compress the thing...

2 - Anyone have a good supplier (read that as Rennlist Sponsor) who offers a nice discount?

3 - What's the real potential that this sound could also be lifter noise - but it's LOUD....

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All - figured I'd update the posting...

I contacted a bud of mine here in NH who had an old removed chain tensioner that was taken off his 89 years ago. I installed it tonite as a test, and whammo - less noise. So that is definately part of the issue. It seems though I have lifter noise too, so chances are them cams are coming off in the near future. When I rev the engine a tad the lifter noise diminishes quite a bit so it may just be that one or two of them are gunked up a little. A good cleaning might do the trick too.

Still looking for a source for a factory tensioner - cheaper is better of course...

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Tye
Instructor

Tool,

For OEM parts, I use Sunset Porsche in Oregon. They offer parts at cost plus 15% (plus shipping). Here is the link:

http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php

They've probably gone up, but I got tensioner assembly from there in 2003 for $189 shipped to my door. BTW, the part # for the cam chain tensioner that I orders was: 944-105-049-01 and the part # for the chain itself is: 944 105 501 05. I'd double check those #'s, but that's what my records show...

Good luck,
Tye
Old 05-14-2005, 06:32 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I agree with Tye, Sunset is probably the best source (and Jeff is great to deal with). I don't think there is a non-OEM alternative for this part, but even if there was, I would not risk it. Paragon is another good place, its where I got mine, but I think that it probably is cheapest from Sunset.

I did order the stainless steel "J" tube and the special drilled bolts from Sunset though. I have heard people say that the "J" tube sometimes breaks (although the old one in my motor looked perfect, still replaced it anyway). I would also replace the chain (only about $25 or so) - it's more work, but it would make for a complete job.

May not be at all related, but these cars do have pretty noisy injectors too.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:37 AM
spieln
Rennlist Member

I was also going to mention that what you think is lifter noise might be the injectors. The injectors on mine are quite noisy also and I thought it was lifters at first too.

Quick Reply: Chain Tensioner Q's...