Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

'83 NA 944 sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 03:36 PM
prophet
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '83 NA 944 sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't.

Halito,

I've been working on and off on a 1983 944 (my first car!) for the past couple of years, and recently the car has now developed what I am assuming is a starter issue. When the key is turned, there is a clicking noise and then a loud humming, but it won't turn over. If you leave the key in and wait several minutes, sometimes it will crank over and start right up without an issue. Other times it takes longer, but every time the car will start on the first crank. This is proving to be a rather annoying issue and I'm very much hoping it's not the starter itself. I thought I'd pick the brains of the professionals before running off to start yanking every possible part off to replace it.

I have installed a brand new battery, and the battery ground doesn't seem to be corroded at all. I can't get under the car at the moment to inspect the starter and solenoid. Any quick way to tell what the issue is? I'm a bit electrically challenged at times
Old 05-20-2024, 04:13 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 235 Posts

Its either:
-corrosion on the starter wires/contacts (including the solenoid) - you said you checked the battery contacts, but those should be checked as well
-bad starter
-bad ignition switch

Read here for more info:
https://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-01.htm

Also, since you are new to 944's you should definitely read through the entirety of Clarks Garage shop manual - it will prepare you for any future issues and also direct you on how to diagnose and test components like a real mechanic instead of wastefully guessing and replacing parts.
https://www.clarks-garage.com/ (Hint: right click, open in new tab for the topics in the shop manual section)

944 Factory Service Manuals in PDF format
http://p914-6info.net/944%20Manuals.html

Last edited by walfreyydo; 05-20-2024 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:35 PM
weberlukas74
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I also suggest checking the wiring connections at the starter. Look for any loose or corroded wires.

Try giving a starter a light tap with a hammer while someone else turns the key. Sometimes, this can free up a sticking solenoid.

Use a multimeter to check for voltage drop across the starter circuit.

The starter relay could also be a weak link.

The issue could also be with the ignition switch. If it’s worn out, it might not be sending a strong enough signal to the starter. You can try jiggling the key slightly while in the start position to see if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: '83 NA 944 sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't.