944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

dual mass flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:07 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dual mass flywheel

can anyone tell me what a dual mass flywheel is ?
and if it is better than a standard flywheel

cheers
Old 01-19-2004, 08:54 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the name implies, it's a really big flywheel (and weights at least twice as much and costs twice as much). Porsche used them on the 968 -- and I believe to help control torsional vibration and assist with idling. I'm not sure why they didn't need it on the S2. In fact, many 968 owners go back to single-mass (or lightweight) flywheel to reduce rotational mass which lets you rev up much faster -- but experience increase in some flywheel chatter.

Bottom line -- you don't want it. It won't fit inside your bellhousing, anyways.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:48 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kool, just heard "of it" and wasnt sure what exactly it was

cheers
Old 01-19-2004, 12:04 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was used on the 964 and 968. It has two pieces of metal seperated by some squishy stuff and held together with rivets. The metal front and back can turn up to 15 degrees. The 968 version weighs 27 pounds. It provides some cushioning of the drivetrain. I will be putting mine back in when I change the clutch but some owners switch to one piece light weight flywheels. I looked but could not find a one piece usint over 14 pounds.

http://www.specclutch.com could be a good place to look if you are planning to change your flywheel. Had I bought a ligher one these guys would have had my business.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:04 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was used on the 964 and 968. It has two pieces of metal seperated by some squishy stuff and held together with rivets. The metal front and back can turn up to 15 degrees. The 968 version weighs 27 pounds. It provides some cushioning of the drivetrain. I will be putting mine back in when I change the clutch but some owners switch to one piece light weight flywheels. I looked but could not find a one piece usint over 14 pounds.

http://www.specclutch.com could be a good place to look if you are planning to change your flywheel. Had I bought a ligher one these guys would have had my business.

Quick Reply: dual mass flywheel